Yale Global Health and Innovation Conference – Part I

In the midst of exams, I was fortunate enough to attend the Yale Global Health and Innovation Conference in New Haven, Connecticut. Through Roxana and Brent’s generosity, 6 GRSers were sponsored to represent UBC at the event. Presenters and attendees flocked from all over the world to share in a weekend of truly revolutionary thinking about public health and social entrepreneurship in the developing world. The sheer number of presenters was staggering, and I spent several hours each day researching the sessions in order to choose which ones to attend. In the end, I took part in a variety of sessions – from lectures in huge auditoriums to workshops in a more intimate setting – and came away from the conference with a new perspective on numerous issues.

The conference was structured with several keynote presentations each morning, for which all conference attendees were present. Following the keynote speakers, the program broke out into research presentations, social entrepreneurship pitches, and student leaders in global health presentations, with multiple sessions throughout the day. Although the breakout presentations were interesting, I found them to be a bit too specific for my level of specialization. As a GRSer, I have certain areas of interest but haven’t narrowed my focus to one particular issue as of yet. Therefore, I feel that I connected most with the keynote presentations, as they were targeted to a more general audience and were highly diverse.

On the first day, the two keynote speakers who really caught my attention were Gary Hirshberg, co-founder and chair of  Stonyfield Organics, and Michael Moss, author of the critically acclaimed book Salt, Sugar, Fat. Both Hirshberg and Moss have an insider’s perspective on the food industry, which was fascinating to hear from. Even though they each approach the food industry from a different place – Hirshberg operates within the food industry while Moss is critical of it – they share the opinion that health should be the main objective of the food system, and that this objective has been usurped by the pursuit of profit maximization.

Hirshberg’s main concerns relate to the detrimental effect of conventional agriculture on environmental health; he fears that the externalization of cost that has allowed conventional agriculture to increase yields and decrease prices will lead to irrevocable damage to the earth’s ecosystem. He created Stonyfield Organics in order to show the world that the population can be fed through organic agriculture; moreover, he asserts that the transition to sustainable farming practices on a global scale could improve the situation of millions of people worldwide, and could help internalize many of the costs that are currently external to the agri-food economy. In addition, he strongly believes that conventional farming methods are responsible for innumerable negative effects on human health, and that it is only thorough abandoning our exalted doctrine of genetic modification and heavy pesticide/herbicide use that health outcomes will improve.

As we travel up the food supply chain, Moss’ area of interest comes into view: the processing and manufacturing of  “food-like” products. His work revolves around infiltrating food processing corporations in order to uncover the means by which the junk food industry has secured such powerful role in today’s economy. Through his investigation, he has come to the conclusion that the manipulation of three different properties of food – salt, sugar, and fat – has enabled the junk food giants to engineer foods that have similar addictive qualities to narcotic drugs. Through the engineering of “bliss points,” food items become utterly irresistible; moreover, junk food products are engineered to avoid the phenomenon of “taste-specific satiety,” which signals the body to stop eating a specific food (for example, taste-specific satiety explains why although you might be full from dinner, you can still “make room” for dessert). He asserts that the manipulation of food products in such a way is exploitative of human biology, and has been a critical factor in the rise of overweight and obesity worldwide.

Fascinating stuff! And thats just one PART of the morning session. I will follow up with more interesting info from the second day; for now I think I’ve left you with more than enough food for thought (get it? aren’t I punny?!).

“Imaginary Gods”: Gender and Civilization in Gandhi’s Nationalist Movement

Hi again! Wow, term has flown by in the blink of an eye. Its hard to believe that another school year is over, but when I look back on everything I’ve learned over the past few months, I can see how much my perspective and world view have changed as a result of fully immersing myself in my courses and the GRS community. One of my favourite parts of university in general is being able to make connections between different seemingly unrelated disciplines. This post is inspired by the overlap between my gender studies course Decolonizing and Feminist Perspectives from Local to Global (GRSJ 102) and my Indian history course History of India (HIST 273). I enjoyed the two individual courses immensely, but taking both simultaneously helped me to connect with the material on a deeper level and identify linkages between theory, concept, and reality.

The following essay is a reflection on the role gender ideology played in Mahatma Gandhi’s Nationalist movement in pre-Independence India. It touches on themes of civilization vs. savagery, colonialism, religion, and politics in order to explore the socio-political milleu in which Gandhi espoused his ethics of non-violent or “passive” resistance.

Mohandas Gandhi

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, affectionately referred to as Mahatma, or Saint by his supporters, was a prominent figure in the Indian nationalist movement of the late 19th and early 20th century.  A revolutionary philosopher and activist, Gandhi pioneered the use of civil disobedience as a tool for political reform; moreover, his platform of non-violence and “passive resistance” set a precedent for independence movements around the globe, and permanently altered the dynamic between colonizer and colonized in the late modern world. Through his literary legacy, it can be seen that concept of civilization was central to Gandhi’s construction of British colonialism as an oppressive force in the subcontinent. Although Gandhi uses the term “civilization” to describe the socio-political milieu in both Britain and India, it is clear that he perceives British and Indian civilization as distinctly different entities. Gandhi characterizes British civilization as competitive, capitalist, and materialist; moreover, he attributes masculine traits such as dominance and violence to British colonial rule.[2] Conversely, he characterizes Indian civilization as spiritual and moral, and evokes the image of a “Mother India,” to which he attributes feminine traits such as nurturance and love. Through gendering the concept of civilization, Gandhi suggests that Britain and India are fundamentally different, and that British values are ultimately incompatible with India’s true nature. Thus, Gandhi portrays colonial rule in India as an aberration, and suggests that masculinization is the true “disease” of British civilization.[3]

Gandhi’s idea of civilization also challenges conventional notions of masculine strength and female frailty. In defiance of the Orientalist perception of a weak, effeminate India, Gandhi envisions “Mother India” as inherently powerful and strong. This vision plays an instrumental role in Gandhi’s political ideology, as both satyagraha and passive resistance emphasize feminine traits such as compassion, truth, and love.[4] In addition, the philosophy of passive resistance epitomizes self-sacrifice and suffering – traditionally aspects of a woman’s dharma – as courageous and moral means of challenging colonial oppression.[5] In contrast, Gandhi portrays violence as a cowardly act, suggesting that masculine traits such brute force and aggression are inferior to the feminine strength espoused by his political doctrine. As such, Gandhi encourages his supporters to “be strong as a woman is strong,” thus legitimizing female strength and non-violent means of revolt.[6]

However, Gandhi is inconsistent in his discourse on gender, violence, and passivity. In describing India as a “young woman attacked by a soldier,” he advocates that she “fight back with teeth and nails rather than submit to rape”; this metaphor is at odds with Gandhi’s platform of non-violent resistance, as it implies that “violence [is] preferable to cowardice.”[7] Furthermore, it contradicts Gandhi’s previous assertion that violence is itself cowardly, and that self-sacrifice is the only virtuous means of challenging oppression. In addition, Gandhi expresses conflicting views on femininity and masculinity. Despite encouraging members of the nationalist movement to embrace certain feminine traits, Gandhi suggests that the integrity of masculinity is important to preserve. He insists that “true men” stand up to their oppressors, fear “only god,” and practice brahmacharya  (chastity); moreover, men who fail to conform to these standards are at risk of “emasculation.”[8] This fear of losing one’s “manhood” implies that femininity is inferior masculinity; although this notion reflects the patriarchal milieu of the time, it subtly undermines Gandhi’s promotion of female strength as the key to India’s liberation.

In this way, it is clear that Gandhi does not seek to eradicate the gender binary or establish gender equality within Indian society. Instead, he attempts to redefine masculinity within the existing socio-normative framework, in order to encompass aspects of satyagraha and passive-resistance that are conventionally labeled as feminine or weak. Just as Gandhi does not consider civilization itself to be evil – rather, the manifestation of civilization in British society is vilified – he does not perceive masculinity to be inherently wrong. However, he denounces traits commonly associated with the western construct of masculinity – such as aggression, violence, and dominance – which he perceives as “[un]natural to Indian soil.”[9] Therefore, the true “disease” of British Civilization lies in is its embodiment of western masculine traits, which threaten to corrupt Gandhi’s core values of peace, love, and truth. As such, when Gandhi advocates for India to harness a “’woman’s strength,” he does not imply that femininity is superior to masculinity; rather, he suggests that the success of India’s independence struggle hinges upon its ability to embrace a masculinity characterized by “soul-force,” self-sacrifice, and swaraj.

[1] Muhammad Iqbal, quoted in Barbara D. Metcalf and Thomas R. Metcalf, A Concise History of Modern India, 3rd ed. (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012), 166.

[2] Barbara D. Metcalf and Thomas R. Metcalf, A Concise History of Modern India, 3rd ed. (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2012), 172.

[3] Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, Hind Swaraj (Gujarat: Gujarat columns of Indian Opinion, 1909), 7.

[4] Gandhi, Hind Swaraj, 8-9.

[5] Ibid., 9.

[6] Metcalf & Metcalf, Modern India, 172.

[7] Ibid., 206.

[8] Gandhi, Hind Swaraj, 11.

[9] Ibid., 14.

Image: Unknown. (20 Aug 2010). Gandhiji. [photograph]. Retrieved from http://antaryamin.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/how-mahatma-gandhi-influenced-the-influencial-minds/