Unit 3 Reflection

The skills required to complete assignments in unit three may have been the most unexpected, yet most applicable in any of my courses: writing with a You-attitude, business letters, and all that encompasses drafting a formal report. The formal report draft and a link to the peer review is attached below.

You-Attitude
In the You attitude assignment, I learned to avoid “I”s or “We”s at the start of a memo, letter or peer review, take the reader out of the sentence by avoiding “You”s, avoid imperative verbs (commands), and to limit the pronoun “You” to the introduction and conclusion only. This was an incredibly helpful assignment as it would not have crossed my mind to integrate a “You” attitude when writing formal letters in order to respect my colleagues, employers, or other individuals I may come across where formality is essential. Since this assignment, I have applied it when writing emails to professors and I know I will continue to use this skill set in all future formal writings.

Business Letters
As an individual who normally accepts situations worthy of writing a complaint letter without becoming agitated, this assignment was new. I was able to apply a “You” attitude to my writing, and I enjoyed pretending to write from a different perspective. The challenge was to find something to complain about and reply with a letter that I would like to receive.

Formal Report Draft
The decision to settle on a topic was difficult because there were so many avenues and approaches I could take. In addition, the decision to write this proposal stemmed from a passion for migratory bird conservation, not from an area of expertise, this implies a lot of background research. The more I researched, the better I understood the topic, which thus took the direction of my proposal in multiple angles before settling on the final decision that is most feasible and focused. In the formal report draft, I was only able to include the background research while I waited for as many survey participants as possible to achieve a higher sample size. This is because my research question was malleable to the information I could find, and as the research topic changed, so did my survey questions. 

Since I have been exposed to writing scientific papers, my writing has always been research-based. However, surveys and interviews exposed me to new territory which set me on the ground running before I learned to walk. I learned how to effectively formulate survey questions, and how to ask these questions in a positive manner. This challenge was unexpected, but was an experience that I highly appreciate as I would not have had this opportunity in my field of study. It is relevant, novel and will be highly applicable in my future endeavours. 

During data collection, I realized how difficult this could be given my limited presence on social media platforms: a direct result of my decision to maintain a private life. As a result, I had to revise the proposal by cutting out the federal level as no one I reached out to holds a position at the government level, and individuals I have emailed at the government level did not reply to my email. As for the length of the proposal, I realized there was much to cut down from as the research itself on the effects of migratory birds, in addition to existing examples from the (now) 2 levels relevant to bird conservation (Grassroots campaigns and Businesses) would take up to 15 pages, single spaced and including relevant figures. I would have to further concentrate this information and ensure all information is considered relevant to this formal report.

Peer Review
After many peer reviews, what to look for, such as “You” attitude, sentence structure, grammar, has become less arduous to identify and comment about. The peer review gave me insight into how my data should be presented, and what format could make it easier to read. Although I had not yet included primary data in my formal report, peer reviewing another individual’s has given me a better understanding as to how I can better deliver and analyze my own.

What I Learned
This course went beyond the learning goals in the syllabus, as not only had I applied the lessons to my writing, I also had to focus on time management when I had other competing priorities to tend to. Although I take more time than I expect to complete assignments, I manage to finish on time, knowing that I have completed this assignment with my best effort. I know I will finish this course with more confidence in my formal writing skills.

301 Mila Tung Formal Report Draft

Link to Peer Review by Jen Deluz

Unit Two Reflection

Unit Two consisted of challenging, but practical assignments which includes: creating a formal report and proposal and creating a professional LinkedIn profile. The new approved formal report of my “Formal Report” assignment is attached below, along with a link to the peer review of the original Formal Report.

Formal Report & Proposal Writing
For my original formal report, I chose to propose a solution for the lack of returned staxi chairs at the Vancouver General Hospital, which would be relevant and valuable to patients, family members, volunteers and healthcare workers. This proposal aimed to organize a fundraiser to place GPS trackers on Staxi chairs to make it easier to locate in a large hospital, however, later knowledge shed light that due to the cement make-up of the building, Wi-Fi does not reach certain areas of the hospital, and thus the proposal would not be feasible.

I then suggested two new proposals that have been my previous “food for thought”, however, they were not reasonable. During the time I pondered over the next possible proposal idea, the “birds falling from the sky” event the due to the wildfire a few weeks ago inspired me to address a significant issue with regards to migratory birds. Although I am not an expert on birds, I am passionate about animal conservation and decided on three major threats faced by migratory birds: Wildfires, Light Pollution, and Urban Development. I realized there are solutions available to diminish these effects, however, they are not being implemented because individuals do not understand the severity that human activity poses towards migratory birds, which makes a campaign to target iNaturalist app users as a potential route to inspire growth in the bird lover community and thus create movement.

Peer Review: Formal Report
In peer reviewing my partner’s proposal, I find it to be well done and well thought out to address the direct effects of the current pandemic. It addresses the well-being of individuals adjusting to the new work environment, as well as for new hires who may find it challenging with the absence of a sense of community. This peer review process shed light on an area of the community I am unfamiliar with and I am able to apply any suggestions I make to my own proposal as well. 

LinkedIn Profile
The LinkedIn Profile took some effort because I am not comfortable with putting my photo on social media, in addition, I do not take many photos of myself, so I was concerned that the few photos I have of me in my phone may not be “professional”. However, researching tips to creating a good LinkedIn profile has given me insight to what employers look for, which furthers my understanding in the purpose of “writing for a targeted audience”. The most challenging aspect was the short summary as I need to capture the reader’s attention and communicate who I am in a limited word count. This assignment has also introduced me to job hunting on a professional social media platform.

Peer Review: LinkedIn Profile
The peer review process for my partner’s LinkedIn Profile gave me insight to what a great profile can look like, and although I did not have more suggestions to contribute other than what was done well, I was able to see how another individual might implement the tips that were researched to create a good LinkedIn Profile.

The comments received from my partner offered insight to how I should consider my audience when listing an accomplishment in a different language. I also realized that a LinkedIn profile would not allow me to tailor the contents to every potential employer, therefore, although the profession I intend to pursue depends more on real life connections in a clinical setting, I will put these suggestions into consideration in the future.

What I learned 
Unit Two emphasized the importance of writing to my audience, and the difficulty in trying to maintain that focus on the specified audience. The process of creating a new formal report proposal also led me think more carefully of certain approaches before communicating them to a specific audience. Overall, I appreciated the process of peer reviewing and receiving feedback on my assignments as it shows me where and how I can improve for future assignments. 

301 Mila Tung New Formal Report Proposal

Jen Deluz’s Peer Review of Formal Report Proposal

Unit One Reflection

Unit 1 has been a difficult learning process to write in a style different from writing short stories and research papers. I was required to adjust my tone of writing and became acquainted not only with writing Memos, but also with myself while writing the Application Letter in terms of better self-understanding. This post will reflect on my experience in the Writing, Peer Review and Editing Process of the Three Definitions assignment, in addition to what I have learned from the listed assignments. The revised version of my “Three Definitions” assignment is attached below.

Writing Process:
When writing, I first created an outline for a term that I knew nothing about to draw inspiration. I compiled a list of what I would have needed to understand the term, in addition to what I would like to know more about. I proceeded to write the first draft with an attempt to minimize jargon and used words that I believe would be accessible to most individuals without extensive knowledge of Decompression Sickness (DCS). The process allowed me to have a better understanding of DCS as well and I came to appreciate the three types of definitions: Parenthetical, sentence, and expanded definition, as well as the types of definitions appropriate for the given given audience.

Peer Review Process:
My team members and myself first assigned the term we were to peer review based on the term we were least familiar with; the purpose was to better simulate an exchange with the reader our assignment was intended for. By reading my team member’s definitions, I had the opportunity to read the style of writing used by someone in a different field than myself, and was better able to understand the importance of using limited jargon. From my previous experience of peer reviewing, I applied what I have learned to suggest additional ways my assignment’s author can incorporate them into their assignment. I thought this process allowed me to see where I can improve in my own assignment along with identifying areas I can further elaborate on.

Editing Process:
My peer review partner was incredibly helpful in providing feedback for my assignment. Therefore the process of incorporating what has been suggested in their feedback made it easier to identify where I needed to improve. Words that I did not think were important to define were brought to light, including the kind of additional information/ visuals that would be helpful for my readers to have. I also made changes to some sentence structures as suggested by my peer reviewer. Moreover, I incorporated what I would have liked to see in the three definitions assignment I peer reviewed, by adding transitions that I believe would benefit my readers, as well as a description for the images I use which has also been suggested by my peer reviewer.

What did I learn?
Having another set of eyes to edit your work is extremely helpful in spotting any spelling/ grammatical errors, and presenting new ideas or adjustments that could be useful for my reader. It allowed me to create a more well-rounded scope of the topic, especially in the expanded definition, in addition to  addressing areas that require more information. Having a different perspective of my writing and re-reading with another individual’s suggestions in mind helped me see where I can further improve to better communicate information to my target audience. I also learned that appropriate visuals can be the difference between understanding and not understanding a certain topic for some readers. This point was introduced by my peer reviewer, as well as in my own process of reviewing the definitions I peer reviewed for; the diagram of their term presented as a cycle was what allowed me to better understand their term. 

Revised Version: 301-Mila Tung-Three Definitions Revised

Email to Prospective Members of Professional Writing Team

Subject: RE: English 301 Professional Writing Team Invitation
To: Ashley Yuan <yuanashl@student.ubc.ca>
From: Mila Tung <yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 22, 2020
———————————————————————————————–

Dear Ashley Yuan,

Thank you for your interest in considering me as a prospective member of your professional writing team. After reading your application letter and biography, I believe our similar work habits and philosophy align, so I am delighted to accept this position.  

I am intrigued by the diversity of your professional experiences, and I commend you for taking the time and patience to pursue a second degree while balancing co-curricular activities.  I also appreciate that you address where you are less experienced and are prepared to overcome this challenge by taking this course. Your self-awareness and diligence will be a great asset to the team. Your work ethic is truly inspiring and I hope our mutual experience in writing research papers can be a start for us to grow as a team in technical writing skills and more. 

If there is any additional information you would like addressed, please feel welcome to let me know.

Thank you, again for this wonderful opportunity to be a part of your team.

Kind regards,

Mila Tung

Application Letter enclosed: 301 Mila Tung Application Letter

Subject: English 301 Professional Writing Team Invitation
To: Jen Deluz <jksdeluz@student.ubc.ca>
From: Mila Tung <yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 22, 2020
———————————————————————————————–

Dear Jen Deluz,

I am writing to express my interest in forming a writing team with you. After reading your application letter and biography, I strongly believe you would be a great asset to the team.

Your professional experience as a junior software developer is impressive as it shows growth and maturity. Your experience with clients also indicates great problem solving skills, motivation, as well as collaborative skills, all of which are qualities that would contribute greatly to the team. I firmly believe that maintaining communication and having patience, as recognized in your application letter, are key to creating a productive team. In addition, our different approach to realizing the importance of “clear and effective communication” may serve as an interesting learning experience for the both of us.

Please consider my proposal to be a member of our ENGL 301 Professional Writing Team. A copy of my application letter is attached below for your consideration. If you have any further questions, please feel welcome to contact me via email at yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca, or visit my blog for more information.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Mila

To: Jonathan Ho <jonathho@student.ubc.ca>
From: Mila Tung <yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca>
Date: September 22, 2020
———————————————————————————————–

Dear Jonathan Ho,

I am writing to express my interest in forming a professional writing team with you. I have read your application letter and biography, I believe share common values to form a successful team.

I am impressed by your academic and professional background. Your attention to detail, ability to write in a condensed manner, and experience in professional writing will be a great asset to the team. Your work experience in addition to your understanding of what time of the day you are most productive also shows good time management and a mature approach to decision-making. Since we both have experience in writing techniques as a Biology student, I believe we can help each other find more appropriate technical writing skills that are not unique to skills applied in writing research papers.

I have attached a copy of my application letter below. If you have any further questions, please feel welcome to contact me via email at yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca, or visit my blog for more information.

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

Mila Tung

Email Memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, English 301 99A Instructor
From: Mila Tung, English 301 99A Student
Date: September 18, 2020
Subject: Summary of Professional Writing Team Application Letter

Dear Dr. Paterson,

My name is Mila Tung and I am currently a student in your ENGL 301 class. I am writing to inform you that I have posted my letter of application to be considered as a member of a professional writing team on my ENGL 301 99A blog.

This is a summary of my application letter which I have attached below:

• I am a fourth year Biology student at UBC
    • My habits and experience in a professional environment
    • What I can contribute as a team member
    • How academic courses have shaped my writing skills
    • My weaknesses and what I wish to improve on

Please let me know of any feedback or if you require any further information. I look forward to your reply.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Mila Tung

301 Mila Tung Application Letter

Application Letter

6968 198 B street
Langley, BC V2Y 3B4

September 18, 2020

ENGL 301 colleagues (online)
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear course colleagues of ENGL 301,

I am writing to express my interest to become a potential member of your professional writing team. I am currently a fourth year undergraduate student completing a Biology degree at the University of British Columbia.

Previously, I have worked as an English instructor for an international summer program. Every week, from 20 samples of student essays, I would have one day to design a week’s worth of course content tailored to suit their interest, as well as improve their English for this particular cohort. I would then send a brief summary, as well as an in-depth description of my lectures to the academic manager for approval. Often, I would collaborate with the teaching team to communicate any problems with the class dynamic. In an effort to create a fun and educational environment, I would ask my students after every class for their feedback and modify my lessons to meet their criteria. Through this experience, I became accustomed to working under tight deadlines and greatly improved my communication and collaborative skills. As a team player I am receptive to all feedback or criticism and adapt to what changes need to be met. 

As a science student, my classes have equipped me with a valuable skill set in critically reading, analyzing and writing research papers. In this process, I have peer edited and translated scientific language into a paper that is accessible, but professional for the general public to read. As such, I grew to understand the paramount importance of effective communication, professional wording and style of presentation. While thinking of what to write comes relatively quickly in academic writing, it is more difficult for me in technical writing. I often worry my style of writing may come across as impolite, too casual, or contain too much information. Therefore, I hope to gain more confidence in technical writing and better understand the appropriate language usage directed for the intended reader. 

If my writing experiences benefit your team, please feel welcome to contact me via email at yung.99@alumni.ubc.ca. 

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Mila Tung

301 Mila Tung Application Letter