Standard #5 – Educators implement effective practices in areas of classroom management, planning, instruction, assessment, evaluation and reporting.

Lesson Plan – Leading the World (Grade 7)

Above is a unit plan I created with Mina Rohani for the Vancouver Biennale Big Ideas program.

Part of my degree was to do a three week Enhanced Practicum where I would help a community partner with the education portion of their program. I was able to work with the Vancouver Biennale organization in developing and implementing a cross-curricular inquiry based unit plan for a Grade 6/7 classroom in Vancouver. The finished product will later be published on the Vancouver Biennale’s education website. http://vblearn.ca

The first week of this enhanced practicum was spent in developing a unit plan called “Leading the World”. This cross-curricular inquiry based unit’s is meant to encourage student exploration of leadership on a community, national, and international level. Throughout the development of this unit I was able to use the of knowledge planning, instruction, and assessment I acquired throughout the year in my teacher education program to inform my creation of it. I am so pleased with how this unit plan turned out.

The second week of my enhanced practicum was spent implementing a much shortened version of the unit plan in a Vancouver Grade 6/7 classroom. This was one of my first experiences in being a guest educator. I was able to implement a variety of classroom management skills I’ve developed this year, including getting the attention of a group of students I am unfamiliar with and effectively facilitating open and respectful classroom discussion.

The unit went over incredibly well and I was pleased by my ability to create and implement a unit plan for a much different age group and classroom than my practicum classroom. For me, it proved that the skills I have further developed this year will be incredibly useful in my future career as an educator. Especially, in terms of classroom management, planning, instruction, and assessment.