Residence Fees at UBC on the Rise

UBC Photo

Aerial Shot of UBC’s Vancouver Campus

In October, the university proposed increases in international tuition and residence fees – 10% and 20%, respectively. The school has put forth many reasons for their, somewhat shocking, proposition.

UBC believes it has become a “discount option” for prospective students. Meaning, people choose UBC because it is cheaper than attending U of T or McGill. The University should not be able to justify their price increases by the fact other schools of the same calibre are more expensive. Personally, I think this is a weak argument for what they really want – more money.

However, I think the school’s most ludicrous case is their idea of offering student housing at market prices. Post-secondary is on the verge of being unaffordable for many students. I do not think student housing is supposed to be of market value! We are talking about students! Their  main concern should be to focus on their studies, rather than to worry about their next debt payment.

If I were  a prospective student for the 2014/15 school year having to endure the expense of a 20% increase in housing, I may not chose UBC. However, now that this increase would affect me for 2nd year, I am encouraged to search for off campus housing that is cheaper.

More importantly, UBC is restricting itself to a narrow group of students who can afford its costs, and limiting the potential that a  variety of new students would bring to the school.

Reference Article

Image 1

Online Shopping

Online Shopping

I think Rachel’s blog regarding online shopping is very prevalent. For a concept that did not exist 15 years ago, online shopping is becoming extremely popular. People can surf the web for desired products and then base their purchasing decisions on online product reviews. And all from their living room couches. Online shopping requires less effort and can be less time consuming than physically going to a store.

Although convenient for consumers, businesses with actual stores are suffering. Like Rachel mentioned, Staples Canada has shut down 15 stores in response to declining revenues. Interestingly, however, Staples is trying to adapt by taking a different approach to sales. They, too, now have an online store, even offering products unrelated to electronics. This demonstrates Staples is adjusting their business model to correspond with realities of advancing technology.

Online shopping has created more competition in many industries. Prices for products may be lower than without this outlet, yet, personally, I do not trust online shopping. My family has bought a few items from Amazon.com, and disappointment is all we have ever received. For technology, I prefer to go to an electronic supplier, like Staples or Best Buy, to speak with a sales associate and to tangibly see the product I am interested in buying. For clothing, I like to try-on clothes before purchasing, to ensure I get the correct size and to check for quality. I am unable to do the same with online shopping. Not to mention the hassle of returning goods bought online. Some would say online shopping is the way of the future, however, I see it as a fad that will pass when people start to understand the ill logistics of the concept.

Image 1

Site C Project & First Nations

First Nations at Joint Panel Review for Site C Project

On October 22nd, BC Hydro’s eight billion dollar Site C Project will learn its fate. The Project’s proposition is to built a dam in the Peace River Valley which will generate hydroelectric power by flooding eighty-three kilometres of the Valley.  Supporters highlight the need for hydroelectric power in Victoria, BC. The opposition, consisting mostly of First Nations, say their fishing and hunting practices will be negatively impacted as well as their ability to hold ceremonial rituals.

An external factor impacting an organization’s business model are socio-cultural trends. In this case, BC Hydro is essentially ignoring the voices of First Nations and the implications they face as a result of the Site C Project. Like mentioned previously, their fishing, hunting and ceremonies will be affected. Canada already has a  history of severing its relationship with Natives; Canada should focus on repairing this weakened relationship instead of taking a step backwards.

Not only will First Nations be affected, wildlife habitats will too. The flooding of the Valley will ruin the habitats of animals in the area. I do not consider this to be socially responsible on the part of BC Hydro. British Columbians are sensitive when it comes to protection of the environment and animals and, thus, companies, like BC Hydro should not be able to progress with projects that do not correspond with the values of society.

Reference Article

Image 1

Housing Prices in Toronto & Vancouver

Downtown Vancouver

Housing prices in Toronto and Vancouver are increasing, according to this article. This article outlines the prices of a variety of properties, from single-family dwellings to apartments and condos in these two cities. The average price for a single-family home in Vancouver is just under $1 million. In Toronto, the average price is about $700k. And it does not look like housing prices will plateau any time soon.

I think Vancouver is a great city to live in. Easy access to mountain ranges (skiing, hiking) and to the ocean (boating) make this city one of the best in the world. However, the word that comes to mind when I think of Vancouver, second to beautiful, is expensive. Most people do not have an income to support a million dollar mortgage and the costs associated with a home of this price, such as property taxes. And this price is just the average. I spend a lot of time searching Realtor.ca and most detached homes for sale on the West Side of Vancouver  are over $2 million. How is an ordinary person, with a middle-class income supposed to afford living in Vancouver?

Image 1