Pages

Blogroll

August 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Second Women in Physics Conference in Vancouver

Prof. Janis McKenna and a number of wonderful graduate students in physics have organized the Second Canadian Women in Physics Conference here at UBC. More than 100 women (and a few guys) attended it. What a fabulous event. I was especially happy that many young undergrad and grad students in physics could attend. I have learned a lot of new things and was very impressed by the panels and by the talks. I was especially impressed by the talk by a fellow physicist from TRIUMF – Dr. Anadi Canepa. Anadi spoke about… Higgs boson, but somehow unlike many other talks I have heard she was able not only to explain the significance of the event, but made the audience excited about it. It was amazing. Another talk I really enjoyed was by Toni Schmader, who is a UBC Canada Research Chair in Social Psychology. She studies gender and our biases and how women succeed in SMET careers. Toni is amazing as well. I am so proud we have so many amazing women right here at UBC!!!

My own presentation focused on the preparation for a physics teaching job interview. I had only 10 minutes, but I hope I gave people some idea on how to prepare. Just in case, here is my slides… I also was thinking of having some Skype Q&A sessions to help women interview successfully and answer their questions: WIPC2012_Vancouver_Teaching Career_Inerview