LinkedIn Best Practices Memo

For this assignment, we had to research best practices for networking on LinkedIn, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The assignment highlighted the resourcefulness of LinkedIn, and I learned a lot of new information about the site and how to make connections that could lead to jobs or career advice. I had not yet learnt how to write with ‘you-attitude’, so I had to go back later and change all the imperative verbs and remove the pronouns to sound more persuasive.

LinkedIn Best Practices

MEMORANDUM

To: Peter Yang (Team member), Ethan Fung (Team member), Juanita Kwok (Team member) and Danae Echeverria (Team member)

From: Matilda Murray (ENGL 301 Student)

Date: 4th July, 2022

Subject: Summary of Best Practice Tips for LinkedIn

As per Assignment 2.2, I have researched and found some tips that may be helpful when networking on LinkedIn. Here are ten tips:

1. Making connections: Using the “People You May Know” feature allows for connections to be made with old colleagues and friends of friends. The more connections, the easier it is to network.
  2. “Optimising” your profile: ensuring your profile is detailed and filled out, checking that the profile is professional looking and free of typos, including a professional-looking profile picture.
  3. Adding an effective headline: allows recruiters to scout someone easily and aids them in knowing what one is currently working on.
  4. Connecting with strangers in the same field: is easily done by sending them a quick message with why you want to connect with them.
  5. Sharing insights and stories: participating and posting allows one to be seen by others and display their professional skills and experience.
  6. Making personal connections: adding detail when messaging people and showing that you have spent time reading their profile and are interested in what they do.
  7. Attending LinkedIn events: allows you to meet like-minded people and potential connections.
  8. Joining LinkedIn groups: allows you to connect with people in the same professional field.
  9. Adding recommendations to your profile: including recommendations from colleagues, clients, and individuals can make you seem more credible.
  10. Giving and receiving endorsements: getting people to confirm your skills and abilities.

LinkedIn offers a world of opportunities for making connections and networking. Having connections can help in job hunting and career advise. I hope these tips are helpful; please do not hesitate to contact me if there are any questions.

Works Cited:

Balkhi, Syed. “TIPS for Successful Networking on Linkedin.” Business.com, 29 June 2022, www.business.com/articles/linkedin-networking-tips/.

Kurtuy, Andrei. “How to Network on Linkedin – 7 Proven Tips for 2022.” Novorésumé, 27 Apr. 2022, novoresume.com/career-blog/networking-on-linkedin.

The Mind Tools Content Team By the Mind Tools Content Team. “How to Use Linkedin Effectively: Getting the Best from the World’s Biggest Networking Site.” Communication Skills From MindTools.com, www.mindtools.com/pages/article/linkedin.htm.

Prasad, Kiran. “Four Tips to Network on Linkedin.” LinkedIn Official Blog, 12 June 2020, blog.linkedin.com/2020/may/june/12/four-tips-to-network-on-linkedin.

Smulders, Stefan. “How to Network on LinkedIn – 10 Do’s and Don’ts for You to Consider.” Expandi, 2 Feb. 2022, expandi.io/blog/how-to-network-on-linkedin/.