Sue M’s UBC MET E-Portfolio

ETEC565A – Section 66C – Summer 2009

Reflection on Using WebPress for building an E-Portfolio

with 2 comments

This is the first time I’ve used a blogging system, such as WordPress.

It has been frustrating at times when the system locks and the AutoSave has not indeed saved anything, and I’ve had to re-create work from scratch (often losing motivation and creativity).

Then I tried first creating the content in Word, so I can spell check and grammar check and format content so it is aesthetically pleasing…and I’ve used the “Paste from Word” functionality in this blogging system – not always with success.  The system has either frozen (but at least I have my original work, still in Word), or the formatting is all messed up.

I find myself spending more time fiddling with trying to get consistent formatting and finding out after I think everything has good spacing and layout in the “Visual” mode of the Add New Post or Add New Page, that when I Publish my content, and view it (as not logged in)…the “true” formatting is quite different – with huge spacing gaps or weird indentation, or fonts from a heading drifting down to be inherited by sub-paragraphs, etc.

Overall, it’s nice to have a some-what wysiwyg building environment, but it has taken up too many hours of wasted time on unimportant aspects of assignments (the formatting is not what is marked)…which unfortunately has interfered with the quality of some postings or exaggerated the time-on-task.

Suggestions….write in Word, save in Word, and if cutting and pasting doesn’t work as well as expected, save your Word doc as a web page, view the source and copy into Dreamweaver, and then Clean Up Word html, and cut and past the html code into the HTML mode of the pages in this blogging system.

My initial thoughts and frustrations.

Written by Sue M.

June 24th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Posted in Reflections

Tagged with

2 Responses to 'Reflection on Using WebPress for building an E-Portfolio'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Reflection on Using WebPress for building an E-Portfolio'.

1. What browser are you using? Might be worth trying another browser. And is javascript enabled? I know some folks using IE with a high level of security have issues with WYSIWYG editors.

John Egan

24 Jun 09 at 1:03 pm

2. I am using IE7 and Windows Vista 64, and yes, Java is installed.

Sue M.

24 Jun 09 at 3:07 pm