Task 7 – Mode-Bending

Below is the link to an interactive digital book created for a Grade 2/3 class. This is my mode-bending task for week 7.  Enjoy!

Reflections

I changed the mode of the original task that consisted of describing a picture of the contents of my bag to creating an interactive digital book. Not only did I change the platform to present the task but I also designed the book for a younger target audience, a Grade 2/3 class. I used the online program, Book Creator, for this mode-bending task. With the Book Creator program, I am able to embed pictures, infographics, videos, weblinks, and GIFs. I can also change the color, fonts, and size of the text to make it more legible and appealing to the reader.  I chose this digital platform because it is engaging and highly visual for the audience to view and read. It is also accessible for all types of learners due to the adaptations that are available such as having the book be read aloud to the readers. The concept behind this design is to motivate and inspire the reader to create their own digital book after viewing mine.

The New London Group (1996) proposes that teachers are “seen as designers of learning processes and environments” and that “learning and productivity are the results of the designs of complex systems of people, environments, technology, beliefs and texts” (p 73).  The notion of design is correlated with creative intelligence and this is the basis for how educational technology can play an integral part in the classroom. The ability to foster language in an innovative and creative way will motivate even the most reluctant learners to be interested.

Book Creator. http://www.bookcreator.com

The New London Group.  (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. (Links to an external site.)  Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.