Task 10 – Attention Economy

I…. GIVE…. UP….

Call me a failure, call me impatient, I don’t care.  After 5 different attempts and watching the timer head into 10 minutes with figuring out how to “properly” complete the first page for the FIFTH time, I was mentally done. Yet, fellow colleagues were able to complete the entire task within 7 minutes! How?!? What did I do wrong? What did I do right?

There were many dark patterns that I came across on the opening page and the first form. I’m sorry there wasn’t more to analyze. Taken from the list created by https://www.deceptive.design/types, I was able to decipher how the GUI was designed to manipulate my attention, responses, and path to being unsuccessful.

Dark Pattern #1 : Misdirection:

When you come across a large green button with the word “No” on it, what should you do? Not click on it. Yet nothing else seems to work at first glance, so you click on it anyways and of course nothing happens. What you need to do is read the fine print carefully to gain access to the form. This type of misdirection purposefully directed my attention away from the actual instructions.

Another example of misdirection is the use of the timer page that warns players with a message that says, “Hurry up, time is running out!” Well if you experience test anxiety like me, this is a trigger for some stressful moments. You spend all your attention looking at this alert and can’t focus on how to close the message. Again, players need to read all the text on the page VERY carefully and literally. This is the only way out of it.

Dark Pattern #2 : Trick Question

Accepting Cookies and Asking for Help. Doesn’t matter how you respond, the system is not operated to support the user, especially if you ask for it. The interface was designed to frustrate the user so any support offered is just a trick.

When trying to complete the first form by adding your personal information, there are no instructions to clear the form. “Not agreeing” to the terms and creating a “not unsafe” password are ambiguous messages and have to be read very carefully. I have to admit that it was the password generator that had me all confused and frustrated. I thought I was creating a “not unsafe” password but the program would not let me continue onto the next form. After about 20 attempts to re-create a usable password, I gave up.

Final Thoughts

These types of deceptive design concepts are created to tactfully frustrate and confuse the user. After this experience, it reminds me of how quickly we tend to read over documents, sign up for online offers, and provide too much information online. We really need to be cognizant of the dangers of the digital world and being online. Algorithms were not mentioned in the website and this could take advantage of  the user when it comes to “disguised ads” and “privacy zuckering.” Due to the continuous use of technology in the classroom, it is important that educators teach the students about the dangers of the online world.  What is needed is a teacher created document that supports classroom teachers in delivering the material across all age groups. There are websites and games that teach to this but I wonder if it will ever be created as a scope and sequence unit for teachers to use? Or perhaps there is already one created for use?

Brignill, Henry. Deceptive Design, Types of Deceptive Design. https://www.deceptive.design/types