Abercrombie’s Exclusive Marketing?

The Californian aura inspired brand Abercrombie and Fitch stirred up controversies regarding sizing matters from the past year. CEO Mike Jefferies claimed that there is only excitement when their clothes are worn and advertised by people with washboard abs and skinny long legs. While other brands such as American Eagle Outfitters and H&M offers the “plus-size” clothing that A&F does not advocate, they declared that A&F is targeting the “cool-kids” audience.

While I am one of the customers who enjoy shopping at A&F as well as its sister company, Hollister, I do believe that this marketing tactic is highly disrespectful to prospective customers. Although I could see which type of audience their fashion line is directed towards, it was unnecessary for Jefferies to disclose his opinions on his marketing strategies. However, perhaps this is part of their plan to get themselves on the news to attract attention because after-all, more than half of the regular fashion consumers could fit into A&F sizings. As well, they often offer sales on their pricey clothing as part of their marketing strategies. I hope that the company could further analyze its marketing tactics so that it does not offend any potential customers in the future while attracting people at the same time.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/abercrombie-wants-thin-customers-2013-5