I am from- Poem

Hello, my name is Natalia. I joined this class a little late and missed the first blog post. However, I am writing out my version of the poem as a way to introduce myself to the class and to also keep myself up to date with class activities :).

I am from Agave from high altitudes and the Caribbean sea I am from salsas -variety, flavourful. Spicy.

From respecting natures forces

From my mother

and Father.

From Chamomile and Aloe Vera.

I am from the Molcajete

grinding, pressing,

From limes,

Blueberries,

and celebrating Christmas on the 24th.

As a more formal introduction-

Hi, my name is Natalia but I go by Nat or Lea. I am a third year English Major as well as an aspiring artist. While I am not at work or school, I enjoy working on my art and selling prints and stickers on the side. I’m a Canadian citizen so I reside in Vancouver BC where I live with my family. However, my ancestry stems from Mexico so I am an outlier between Canadian and Mexican culture.

I chose to take LAST303 because its a culture-rich course that compliments the discussions that take place in my English courses. I believe that becoming more knowledgeable about different societies and lifestyles expands empathetic ability and motivates open mindedness, which are crucial in a racially driven global system. Plus, as a foodie and Mexican myself, the theme of this course (food in Latin America) is a topic I can relate to. Not only can I use knowledge attained in this course for academic purposes and learn more about my culture (and those similar to it) but also in the kitchen which is as equally as important and definitely a life skill.

I look forward to learning more about Indigenous peoples of America and their methods of handling rich foods.

One Reply to “I am from- Poem”

1. I love that the first stanza started sweet and ended spicy. Fun! I hope we get to see some of your design throughout the semester. Welcome to LAST303, Natalia! Glad to have you in the course.