Learning Interactions

Anderson (2008a) distinguishes effective learning attributes using learning focus as a criteria. He gives four ideal types: learner-centered, knowledge centered, assessment centered, community centered.

1. What are some of the examples from your teaching experience, which fit the Anderson’s learning attributes?

Andersons’ four attributes of learning (Learner, Knowledge, Assessment, and Community centered) approach creates an idealistic model for educators in the technology driven 21st century (Anderson, 2008a).  Within my own classroom, given the multiple affordances and access to technology in my class, I tend to see myself using examples that promote ideas of connectivism in learning in that ¨learning is about making connections with ideas, facts, people, and communities¨” (Anderson, 2008a, p. 49).  As such, I work to create inquiry and project based learning opportunities as often as possible for my students.  Through the construction of meaning in a collaborative manner, I try to generate a community of inquiry within my classroom (Anderson, 2008a).  Recently, I have taken on Genius Hour as an opportunity for my students to practice within the realms of the learner and knowledge centered approaches that Anderson discusses.  Finally, an area that I am in the process of further developing surrounds the assessment centered approach.  While I provide opportunities for student to be reflective and engage in peer and self assessment, I am still working with the students to access all of the available affordances that technology offers students in this regard.

1. How well this classification reflects your learning experience with the interactions organized for educational purposes?

Anderson does a great job discussing the idea of interactivity and its relevance to students development within a community of learning.  I give students opportunities to take control of their learning, and generating mindfulness in in their learning.  Mindfulness has become a very powerful tool within my classroom, as I often address my students in their learning to be mindful of the purpose and process.  For example, when collaborating with peers, the first words to my students is to be mindful of how the process of working in collaboration will work for them.  I have found that this enables them to be reflective of their interactions prior to taking part in them.  The result I see is very focused and enthusiastic collaboration opportunities taking place.

1. What are some examples of the digital tools that are conducive to the Andersons’ classification types?

There is a wide variety of digital tools that are conducive to Andersons’ classification types.  I believe it is important to look at Andersons’ (2008a) six types of educational interaction when developing lessons that incorperate technology and digital tools.  One example that I use that students seem to have adopted and are very authentic in using is the ability to promote student to student interaction through google docs.  Students enjoy providing feedback in an asynchronous manner for their peers and are critical around their own works when given the feedback from their peers.  These documents also enable a greater variation in student-teacher interaction and as such, I have seen a much greater learner commitment and participation (Anderson, 2008a).

1. What digital tools you never implement in your instruction and would not recommend for educational use? What are the reasons for this?

I am quite positive that there are many digital tools out there that I would not recommend on the basis of them not actively offering affordances that support Andersons’ learning attributes.  However, I am of the mind that I will evaluate and assess a digital tool for the affordances.  I think it is important to try out as many of the digital tools available and assess whether they address the nature of the learning.  One of the best ways to see whether a digital tool is educationally sound is to work with your students to analyze and critique the affordances that they offer in the learning process.  For example, my students this year enjoyed creating animated videos.  We researched platforms that afforded students with opportunities to engage in the learning process.  Once we found platforms, students worked in groups to collaborate and build an animated video around a given topic.  Once the process was given due cause, we looked at the tool and critically analyzed it for its ability to address many of Andersons’ learning attributes and interaction abilities.  They then presented and debated the affordances of each tool.  If not for the process though this and the learning that we all (Students and Teacher) did together, I do not believe we would have discovered that one tool addressed our needs better than another.  This also enabled the students to develop their critical thinking skills, which of course was an added bonus.

Reference

Anderson, T. (2008a). Towards a theory of online learning. In T. Anderson & F. Elloumi (Eds.), Theory and practice of online learning. Edmonton AB: Athabasca University. (PDF)