Creating Shared Value, is it Always Successful?

mcd

After reading Yi Liu’s blog Why Organic Foods, I decided to state my views of the effectiveness of creating shared value in businesses. Yi Liu’s article pointed out how McDonald’s started to build a shared value by using organic produce. I agree with Yi’s point that this business decision will enter McDonald’s into a new market that can potentially brighten the prospects of the business. However, it is debatable that this strategy will create a sustainable positive growth for McDonalds.

I think McDonald’s attempt to increase its sales by suddenly creating a shared value is not a sustainable and the most suitable solution for the company. I feel re-conceiving their products in this way is too far from the original culture and value proposition of this company. In a sense, this strategy is not very promising in the long run as people will not go to McDonalds to seek healthier food option ,instead a fast delicious tasting meal. This strategy might boost sales in the short run as it spikes the curiosity and excitement of the market, however not sustainably.

Overall, I believe focusing on other parts of social need such as a better employee-employer relationship is a more reasonable possible shared value that McDonald’s can consider.