When tweets go wrong

As we know, twitter is a popular social media for companies, executives and other influencers in the world to communicate with the world, or at least those who are also on twitter. While a successful twitter campaign can certain raise a lot of brand awareness and generate additional followers, twitter users -who are historically known to enjoy satire – sometimes add a little twist.

A popular one is the #McDStories campaign started by McDonalds. My guess is that it was supposed to attract cool/nice/fun/heart-warming stories about customers’ experience at McDonalds, thereby generating additional brand advocates.

Instead of: “I was so tired after work, went to McDs for some hot food and as always was greeted with smiles *insert selfy pic with Ronald or staff* #McDstories”

The world sent tweets such as:

• These #McDStories never get old, kinda like a box of McDonald’s 10 piece Chicken McNuggets left in the sun for a week
  • #McDStories I lost 50lbs in 6 months after I quit working and eating at McDonald’s
  • One time I walked into McDonalds and I could smell Type 2 diabetes floating in the air and I threw up. #McDStories

Surely these are not the kind of responses McDonald’s marketing manager was hoping for… Worse yet, the campaign is irreversible!

The lesson here is that companies cannot run a Twitter campaign expecting to only target customers with favorable opinions. Hashtags inevitably fall into the hands of those who disagree with the company and, unlike TV spots, there is two-way communication which means that the company has absolutely no control over what is being said about them. So, companies should think twice before launching a potentially over-the-top twitter campaign!

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/01/24/mcdstories-when-a-hashtag-becomes-a-bashtag/