Biography

Hello, my name is Nicole!

I am currently in my 4th year of the Bachelor of Computer Science program at the University of British Columbia. Before attending UBC, I acquired a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry for Medical Sciences at the University of Victoria.

During my time at UVic, I dreamt about going to medical school. In my last year, I decided to try a course in introductory programming. From all the courses that I have taken during my degree, that programming course was my absolute favorite; I just knew that I wanted computer science to be my career.

As a chemist, I have seen the need in the industry for individuals with both chemistry and programming knowledge. I plan to fill this niche in the future by developing software for the medical industry. For the mean time, I am currently open to trying out different branches of the computer science industry.

My career history has been quite diverse. I did my first co-op as a field technician for an agricultural consultancy company. During my time at E.S Cropconsult, I surveyed cranberry fields for pests and disease. I then worked at Ballard Power Systems, a fuel cell company, to research fuel cell membranes. My diverse experiences have developed me into the person I am today, and I could not be happier.

Although school tends to keep me busy, I try to spend as much time as possible on my hobbies. I enjoy volunteering at places like the food bank, working on my side projects, cooking, and playing video games.

I am excited to see how I develop during my time at UBC and what my future ends up bringing me! Thank you for taking the time to learn a little about me.