Sunday Driving a Dying Hobby

Prices at the average gas station these days…

As someone who recently got their license to drive an automobile, I feel the ever-growing pressure on my wallet.  Having to go to gas stations and say goodbye to my hard-earned dollars in order to drive for another two weeks isn’t something I particularly enjoy and it has made an impact on my perspective of the economy.  The prices of petrol that seem to only climb became my personal connection to the idea of inflation.  Inflation is something that affects us all, even though we may not notice it on a day to day basis.  As changes in price per day are minuscule, it is easiest to examine inflation or deflation after a long period of time.  There have been many studies, namely referencing an opinion on it by Bill Bonner, a best-selling investment author, founder/president of Agora Publishing and MoneyWeek magazine; but in my opinion, for every day life, it comes down to personal experiences.  Excluding those who work in finance or particular businesses, it is the difference in price you’ve noticed in groceries, gas, taxes and other things, that make the direct and personal impact.  Of course there is the time value of money that must be accounted for when considering inflation as well, but for the average individual living in our economy let it be known that unfortunately, prices won’t likely cease to rise anytime soon.  With that in mind, I think the amount of sunday morning drivers will steadily decline.  Looking back on the days where gas was less than a dollar per liter is like reflecting on a time of fossil-fuel utopia; cheers to the memory because it likely wont happen again.