Are we real-life Gustls?

I think Gustl is very relatable. I, too, often have internal monologues. When I was a little girl, as the only child in the family, I was always kind of lonely. I would talk to my toys but as I grew older, I realised that that is actually very very strange. So I brought those conversations back into my head. It still seems rather abnormal, but technically it is just me thinking out loud, in my head, having internal monologues like Gustl. Internal monologues are nothing foreign to me.

On so many levels do I find Gustl relatable. I do agree that he has some attitude problems but that being said, I find it hard to deny how much of me I see in him. In fact, I think most of us are like Gustl. We are similar not in our personalities per se but the way we handle crisis.

Let us imagine that a son accompanies his mother on a grocery store run on behalf of his father who is still busy working. Imagine the son sitting in the passenger seat next to his mom who is driving. A reckless drunk driver crashes into the right side of the car where he is at. The first response his mother might most likely give will be to blame herself. And once she realizes that she had technically, nothing to do with the accident, she starts blaming other people like her husband, for example. I think we would all agree that this scenario is very much possible. I also think that it is similar to Gustl’s situation.

The baker points a knife at Gustl. Gustl uses his own abilities to rationalize something that did not even arise because of him. Therefore, when he starts to realize that he can do nothing to rectify the problem, he starts to put the blame on other people. This may seem selfish of him, but I think that it is a normal human response.

Overall, I find that Gustl deserves our sympathy. He is an Individual brainwashed by the norms of the environment he was in. But besides that, we do see that even with his ranks and everything, he is still very much like a regular human being.

1 Thought.

1. I’m so behind on commenting on blogs! At the end of last term I got very busy and then left town. But better late than never, eh?

I agree with you that Gustl is quite relatable, no matter how repugnant I find him. He’s relatable because many of us, too, are products of our societies and have good and bad character traits because of this. And I think having internal discourses with ourselves is probably quite common!

I’m not entirely sure I agree that Gustl had no fault in the situation with the baker, though. If I remember correctly, Gustl was being very impatient and trying to get to the front of the line at the cloakroom and saying in his head that a large person (the baker) was in the way. Then when the baker tells him to be a bit more patient Gustl tells the baker to “shut up.” At least, that’s what I remember. And Gustl even chastises himself inwardly for saying that. That’s when the whole thing starts, and it’s at least partly because Gustl was being impatient and also because he told the baker to shut up. But it’s true that how the baker reacts to all this is due to the baker, not Gustl!

On another note: Can you activate a plugin on your blog that allows those who comment to click a box to get an email if there are any replies? Otherwise the commenter has to remember to come back to see if there are any replies, and few of us remember to do that. When you’re logged into your site, go to “plugins” on the left menu on the dashboard, find “subscribe to comments,” and click “activate.” That should be it!