my doin’s on Saturday

I’m running a bit behind… I guess it’s because I’m busy doing stuff! Which is good!

Wild Gecko is a really nice spot, lots of cool crafty stuff. I had to show a bit of financial restraint and only buy a couple of things. They have all these tents set up with artists doing their thing, mostly wood and iron work. They also have some monkeys and guinea pigs and tortoises hanging around. Pretty damn cool.

We then went down to Osu next to check out Woodin, a bit of a high-end store that specializes in beautiful fabric. I dream of getting a custom made dress while I’m here, but I didn’t see a cloth pattern that called out to me. Plus, kind of expensive. When I got back to Suma tonight, the woman that runs the place told me to wait and go to Makola Market, I will find something I like there for a fraction of the price.

waitin' in the tro

waitin' in the tro

We headed to catch a trotro at Station, which took FOREVER due to nutty traffic. Seriously, it was painful. But at the end was my first go at fufu and several Club beers with Akum and Raph.

Fufu: an immensely popular dish.

Fufu: an immensely popular dish.

There’s a doughy ball of either plantain or cassava, sitting in a tasty (spicy) broth, topped with meat. I chose tilapia which was AMAZING. Akum got goat which came in a very close 2nd. You get a bowl of water and some soap for washing your right hand (right hand only please – left hand is for dirty business) and once you’re clean, you dive in. Cut a chunk of dough off with your fingers and shape into a scoop of sorts. Sop up some soup and slop it back, not chewing the dough very much. I actually tried this again tonight, but with banku (instead of doughball in the middle, you get a slightly firmer doughball on the side, this time with cornmeal mixed in the with cassava/plantain and fermented, so it’s got a tang to it).