Mixed Messaging: Dumb Ways to Die

“I think the biggest takeaway from this is that perhaps “viral marketing” isn’t about making a message viral, but attaching a message to a whole new product (high-quality web content that will go viral). At the time I’m writing this, the video has over 27 million views; it also reached as high as #6 on the global iTunes charts.  Why? I would think it’s because people love this music video and song, not because they love hearing about rail safety.”

Viral marketing has been incredibly effective for those companies that have been able to capitalize on its results despite the unpredictability of public reaction. However, with anything that is viral, there is always a risk that people will dilute, mix and react in complete opposition of the original intent of the message, especially when it is connected to “a whole new product.”

This concern was especially pronounced in regards to Metro Trains’ video and Clayton’s last comment, which stated that people love the song and not necessarily the video. People on the internet sometimes take content to heart, as a challenge to defy any sort of standard and become bigger than the source of popularity. Though Metro clearly ment to place hiding in a washing machine and selling both kidneys as akin to unsafe transit practice, I fear that many would take this as a declaration of ‘you can not’, reacting by engaging in these exact activities.

Controlling the outcomes of a campaign that has gone viral are next to imposible, and though I commend Metro Trains for their amazing video, I hope that the message isn’t mixed in the medium.