Prompt #3

As we are beginning to discuss more Indigenous issues in ASTU this term, it is crucial to be properly informed and educated on such topics. I grew up in the city of Vancouver, which is situated on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations. Since elementary school, this has been a land acknowledgement, I have become very familiar with. As a settler on the land on which I live, understanding the significance behind the acknowledgement is crucial, as it recognizes that we are not part of Indigenous groups, but we live here on their land. It is an act of reconciliation that recognizes the traditional territory of the Indigenous people who called this land home long before the arrival of settlers. When looking at the novel Indian Horse, I believe that it is important to approach it with an open and respectful mind. As the novel takes up the subject of colonialism, it touches on sensitive topics that can provide a learning opportunity in areas that may be unfamiliar. I hope the novel Indian Horse has a lot I can take away from and pass onto others in order to create a more informed community. 

One comment

1. Hi Nina, nice start here! I really like how you were able to acknowledge what you’ve learned in the past, but that you also have more to lear. This open-minded perspective is so important, and will serve you well.

I’d love to hear more about how your past education (ie. you mentioned hearing land acknowledgements since elementary school) has varied from what learning you’ve done since arriving at UBC – some of your peers have touched on this, and I think it’s a valuable reflection to make!