Academic Integrity

Although I already had previous knowledge of academic integrity, after looking further into the topic, I was surprised to find some new details that I was unaware of. Academic integrity is something I was introduced to in elementary school with simple words. The basic idea was, “do not cheat,” and if you do, “you will get in a lot of trouble,” both of which are true, and in the last few years, I have learned the significance of it. The articles we read for our LC groups discussed giving credit and why it is much more crucial in the university world. Unlike in high school, a large portion of the writing done in university is done with a research purpose. It becomes a standard to have multiple sources to use as examples and to connect your own ideas. The proper citation gives credit to things that may not be original to you. This allows you to build and share your perspective on work while respecting and honouring the creator. Properly citing also ables the reader to trace the original work back to the person who came up with such ideas. I believe “academic integrity” can be defined as an act of honesty and fairness to honour other people’s work, ideas, and research. When watching the multiple videos in the academic integrity module, I realized how many people had such powerful perspectives on it. I always knew it was essential and understood the concept, but I did not realize how much more people had to say about it. It was interesting to see the perspective of both young and older people, as their viewpoints held similar points but delivered their messages with different approaches. As we all know, there are consequential outcomes to breaking the “moral code” of academic integrity. With this arose the question, what happens if you make a less relevant mistake like citing an author incorrectly or using the wrong format? As well as more general questions involving genuine mishaps that were unintentional.