Watching the videos made by other students for Latin American Studies has allowed me a glimpse into what will be covered throughout the term. In most of the videos I learned important facts about the topics, but most importantly, I saw what techniques create an engaging and educational video and what does not. 

“The legacy of US Interventionism in Latin America,” a video created by Joe, Felipe, and Olga in 2019, was filled with information. In fact, it overflowed with precise details. Which though created a very informative narrative, lacked audience engagement. As a viewer of the video, it was easy to disconnect from what was being said, and I found that I needed to put particular effort into staying focused. This may have been because of a couple reasons. Perhaps it was because their speech was a bit monotone, or the video’s images were not quite interactive, which when put together creates the perfect setting to lose track in connecting the ideas. I did like however, how in the beginning they outlined the topics that were going to be covered. 

In comparison to the video mentioned above, “Power to the People” was subtly engaging. Carolina, Isabel, and Sera were able to create an excellent video despite the simplicity of it. Though they did not show themselves nor add text in the video, actively listening to them was effortless. Their speech was uncomplicated, appropriately paced, and clear. The information itself was specific, and elaborated only on necessary points, which overall created a professional video.

(I may or may have not clicked on the video thinking I was going to hear John Lennon’s song “Power To The People play in the background.) 

Another enjoyable video I watched was made by Ronnie Daney, Lourdes Kletas, Dorean Lotfazar, and Katherine Poole, “Venezuela: How We Got Here”. This one is noticeable because I found it to be short, informative, and sweet. It was detailed but not to the point of no return; where the audience zones-out. Which is very important in a video like this because if the audience has lost interest, then what else is there? Fortunately, the creators successfully avoided that situation. I might have suggested that one of the narrators is difficult to hear and talks fast, but other than that, it was a good video.

All in all, I’m grateful that I could view a couple of videos to get an idea about what I may create towards the end of Latin American Studies 100.