Unit 3 Reflection

The formal report has been the most challenging aspect of the ENGL 301 course. Although this unit involved some hurdles, I have been navigating them with the help of those peer-reviewing my article, along with additional support from Professor Paterson.

Researching my report draft appeared simple at first. After I had researched my topic, I noticed that prior research had already been gathered by UBC. I used this second-hand research instead of searching for articles based on other countries’ learning systems or points in time (which result in different recommendations). Also, my desired number of survey participants was not met by my preferred date. To make matters worse, my professor and teaching assistant, whom I had specific questions for, were not responding to my emails. Overall, the variation and lack of (some) research documented on my topic were significant, thus making it hard for me to provide concrete guidance.

The organization of the report appeared easy until I realized that I had put excessive amounts of detail into my outline. As a result, I had to reduce the number of headings and focus my report on what mattered most.

Writing my formal report was difficult. I struggled to output ideas. Once I began receiving numerous answers to my survey questions, I confidently explained what the participants wanted and why. Also, without my professor and teaching assistant’s inputs, I lost some hope. Luckily, I tried to make due by stating that the information from my professor was upcoming and decided to analyze and make recommendations without it.

Ultimately, my learning experience with the formal report draft was precious. I learned that I should have planned and consulted my professor (or anyone else I decided to receive primary data from) many weeks before I wrote any type of report. Additionally, I learned to plan my outline considering the number of pages, allowing my content to be streamlined. In conclusion, I should have provided myself more time to focus and think about my report and what small steps need to be taken during its creation.

Formal Report Draft