Response to Christopher Powroznik’s Blog

When I first read this blog post, “Company Secrets Hindering Human Technology Progression”, I was convinced that businesses are holding back advancements in technology. It stated that businesses are unwilling to share their newest technology to the public for the fear of being imitated and their profits taken, and that many companies waste effort attempting to “achieve technology that already exists.” However, as I questioned my first impression of the post, I became somewhat skeptical of the cliché that commercialization is the source of all problems.

While I see much truth in the writer’s claim that competition could be a detrimental factor to advancements in technology, I will argue that businesses are created with a different goal in mind. The main goal of most businesses is not to contribute to technological advancements, but to satisfy consumer desires. For many companies, technological advancements are either byproducts or methods of satisfying the wants. It could be said that consumers are leading the progress in a certain direction that they see is suitable to fulfilling their desires.

Is there a way to find balance between technological progress and business interests? I do not have a clear answer. One possible solution is for companies to attempt to research and experiment in technological areas that seem neglected, as the product of the experiment could turn into an opportunity. This also ties in to the idea of creating transient advantage and should be with business interests.