#1 Wedding song – Peru

I chose this purely because it was being performed by a woman. To be fair, I did not look into the origin of every piece on the record, so it is possible women made more contributions than what I picked up on.

#2 Ugam – Azerbaijan bagpipes

I have Scottish roots and was drawn to the piping mentioned in the title. I looked into this specific song a bit more and it turns out that there were a few errors in the description, perhaps because at the time of collecting this music Azerbaijan was under Soviet rule and very much inaccessible. The instruments we hear are not a type of bagpipe, but I love that a project of this magnitude had an error despite the best of intentions.

#3 Mozart – Queen of the night

There were a number of classical music options on the record that I eliminated rather quickly. Much like the Peruvian wedding song, this made my list due to the female performer.

#4 Men’s house song – Papua New Guinea

This sounded like a message we could have received from space. The pace and staccato articulation reminded me of binary coding.

#5 Morning Star and Devil Bird – Australia

I really disliked this track. As we heard this week in Dr. Smith Rumsey’s lecture, when looking at what is being collected/saved, we should not ignore what we don’t personally enjoy.

#6 Melancholy Blues – L Armstrong & His Hot Seven 

My grandparents always had old records playing at their house (old for me anyways, not for them). They made me a fan of jazz and big band. This was a nostalgia pick.

#7 Jaat Kahan Ho – India

I lived in India for several months when I was 18 and this transported me back. Though I thought this was a male voice singing, after a quick search it turns out that this was a very celebrated female performer. In keeping with the selection criteria I’ve established, this woman was one of the reasons for this pick.

#8 Dark was the night – Blind Willie Johnson

This really encapsulated a feeling a loneliness that is universal to all humans. “Johnson’s song concerns a situation he faced many times: nightfall with no place to sleep. Since humans appeared on Earth, the shroud of night has yet to fall without touching a man or woman in the same plight” (Sagan, p. 178).

#9 Sacrificial dance – Stravinsky

If an invasion needed a soundtrack, this would be it. I’m not a huge fan of this song, so his was another example of me trying to include something that I do not like myself and move beyond my personal tastes.

#10 Cranes in their nest – Japan (Shakuhachi)

The last place I travelled to before the pandemic hit was Japan. Another nostalgia pick that had me longing for a trip beyond the bi-weekly grocery shop run.

Sagan, Carl. Murmurs of Earth : the Voyager interstellar record (1st ed.). Random House. p. 178. ISBN0-394-41047-5.