Flight Path

ETEC565A – Flight Path – Natalie Roberts

I am a wife and a mother to 2 very energetic elementary aged children – all of whom enjoy technology. Our home is often abuzz with Lego Mindstorms and Spheros navigating obstacles, child-built robots spinning and beeping, and the telltale sounds of Skype with the grandparents. My husband and I have always encourage hands-on learning in a variety of forms – and a mix of high and low tech materials. I was fortunate to grow up in a home with the same encouragement and it was really no surprise that I went into teaching.

I have been teaching Middle School (specifically math and science) for almost 15 years. The connections that are made with students when you have the opportunity to teach to your passions are amazing. A few years back I started my M.Ed at UBC and then worked as a school counselor before deciding that I really preferred interacting with students in the classroom (I didn’t get the chance to finish my M.Ed as my daughter was born prematurely – during Winter session – it’s a long story!). I have always enjoyed teaching Middle School aged students (aged 11-14) and have been fortunate to have the opportunity to work in several middle schools; one in New Westminster and then three in the Langley School District where I have been teaching for the last 10 years. My current position is as a Makerspace teacher (teaching an exploration course at the Grade 6,7, and 8 level) and as a “Learning Commonarian” where I get the opportunity to work alongside teachers and their students incorporating the ADST curriculum (and technology) across curricular areas.

I thoroughly enjoy technology, both personally and professionally, and am always excited to incorporate it into my teaching. I try to be mindful of the SAMR model when utilizing tech. Often teachers are using technology as a substitute – digital worksheets – and wonder why students continue not to be engaged. I am not afraid to take risks and try new things – often alongside my students. Coding, for example, has been an eye-opener for me this year. I’m continuing to learn!

I do not have much experience with Learning Management Systems (LMS), so I’m feeling a little behind before I start. However, I am interested in exploring the potential to incorporate LMS into my Makerspace courses as they continue through iterations. With my unconventional (and brand new) teaching position this year, I did not have the time to really think through how I would/may make LMS work with my courses.

A goal I have set for myself is to immerse myself in a variety of technology platforms. For example, I have not personally used WordPress before and am looking forward to seeing how it can be used as a tool to reflect on my own learning. It is important to me, and in keeping with the ISTE Standards for Teachers (2008), to continuously improve my teaching practice and reflect on my growth. I have had the opportunity to begin this reflective journey in two previous MET courses, but I am now looking forward to utilizing WordPress to record and organize these reflections.

Another goal I have set is to thoughtfully consider ways to express student learning. I am very interested in how technology can facilitate the communication of student knowledge and experiences with parents/guardians/subsequent teachers, as well as with other care providers such as doctors. For example, when children need to receive medical psychological medical care, doctors and nurses often ask for “report cards” to track patterns. When all/some of the “artifacts” are digitally kept on an ePortfolio, challenges can arise. In addition to this, the variety of what is reported via ePortfolio varies greatly between teachers, often in the same school/grade. How technology can communicate the learning of children with special needs is also of interest to me.

One aspect of educational technology that I am nervous about are the overwhelming types of technology. I have found that while I am trying (any enjoying) the opportunity to experience many different kinds, I feel that I am not proficient at anything! We are so often introduced to just the basics, at short Pro-D days for example, that we don’t have the opportunity to discover the inner workings of the technology. The prospect of being able to delve into one platform, and get/feel really good at it, is enticing. As those of us who use technology in our teaching know, the platforms and availability of tech keeps changing. Learning how to select meaningful technology, using models such as SECTIONS (2014) and the Seven Principles (1996), will enhance the learning experiences of my students, as well as ease my stress.

Finally, through the MET program I wish to continue learning how best to use technology to aid human-centered design and real-world issues. These are areas that I am passionate about. I’m looking forward to exploring these areas further with knowledge, tools, and opportunities gained from this program.

Bates, T. (2014). Choosing and using media in education: The SECTIONS model. In Teaching in digital age. Retrieved from  https://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/part/9-pedagogical-differences-between-media/.

Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S., C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles:   Technology as lever. American Association for Higher Education Bulletin, 49(2), 3-6. Retrieved from http://www.aahea.org/articles/sevenprinciples.htm .

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2008). Standards for   teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/standards/standards-for-teachers .