Monthly Archives: November 2014

Reflection for Social Enterprise Class

If  the United Nations was fully funded why would we need the Arc or social enterprise”?

In my opinion, even if the United Nations was fully funded, we would still need social enterprises such as the Arc to assist with the scope and allocation of such funding for social issues. Given the amount of global issues (health, security, gender equality, etc) being addressed and still needed to be addressed currently by the UN, fully funding the UN would give resources to approach the critical issuses, but the quantity and scope of all pressing issues would widen. With the numerous committees in the UN addressing a variety of issues, more funding could bring support to more issues, but coordination, organization, administration and allocation with the funds would become more complex. This is where social enterprise and corresponding organizations like the Arc would be required, helping to direct funding into the respective niches of social enterprise and assist in addressing the issues within the social enterprise niche.

A “trickle down” situation could occur, where the funds from the UN could be misallocated, underused or overused in the higher levels for administrative purposes, and the people in need of the funded resources and programs may not actually receive the supported. Thus, even with a fully funded UN, social enterprises can assist in the directions of funds, by advising and providing insight and background to the UN of the scope and breadth of the issues needed to be addressed. Different social enterprises are familiar with struggles and issues needed to be addressed, so with the existing infrastructure and newfound support from the UN, social enterprises can serve as good advisors for a fully funded UN.

UN Logo, taken from: http://detroitwaterbrigade.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/un_logo.png

Re: Customers as Your Promoters

After reading Winnie Woo’s blog post on customers travelling an extra distance to Whole Foods due to their awareness of the shared values, and discussing social sustainability, shared values and corporate responsibility in class, I realize the importance and its influences on my purchases and brand perceptions. When I was in elementary, I remember one of my teachers had “special” soccer balls we could play with at recess, and they were special because every ball she bought, someone else in the world also received one. The balls were coverted, cool and popular for kickball and soccer because it never went flat or needed a pump. While nostalgically reflecting upon the breaks of my childhood, I found that the balls we used to play with were The One World Futbol.

The One World Futbol, nearly indestructible and no pump needed. Taken from : http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/

The One World Futbol Project, was founding sponsored by Chevrolet and partners with many organizations and causes, is a company that creates social value. Their mission is to “bring the healing power of play to youth worldwide by making, selling, distributing nearly indestructible balls that survive the harshest environments. Collaborating with sponsors, organizations and individuals, [they] deliver balls to disadvantaged communities where play and sport are used to foster social change”. In addition, with a purchase of a Futbol, they donate one to organizations working with youth in disadvantaged communities. Alternatively, consumers are able to buy Futbol’s and directly donate to the various organizations. Going back to Winnie’s blog post, although I may not have realized the business components of The One World Futbol in the third grade, but the lasting impression I had, nine years later not only established The One World Futbol Project position in customers’ mind, but shared the company’s values for all consumer demographics.

Works Referenced: “ONE WORLD FUTBOL PROJECT.” One World Futbol Home Comments. One World Futbol Project. Web. 9 Nov. 2014. <http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/>.

BC Ferries Making Waves

This past Tuesday November 4th, upon announcing possible changes of cutting service between Nanaimo and Horseshoe Bay, BC Ferries was met with huge backlash immediately Wednesday morning.  A report submitted to the BC Ferries Commisioner titled “Strategies for Enhanced Efficiency in Performance Term Four and Beyond” pointed out the cost savings of re-routing most Nanaimo traffic through the Tsawwassen terminal south of Vancouver, in addition to many other issues of:

•Focusing efficiency plan of the next five years on the Southern Gulf Island routes.

• Reducing the number of Southern Gulf Island routes and having live aboard crew on the new servicing ships.

•Aiming to convert the engines of the Spirit of Vancouver Island and British Columbia to run on liquefied natural gas (LNG) by 2021, saving 50% of the cost spent on diesel, with savings up $45 million by 2020.

• Giving more fare flexibility and access to routes when booked in advance, and considering eliminating reservation fees.

Digital overhaul by improving its online booking systems and reducing costs on call centre bookings, potentially saving $7 million by 2020.

Primarily, the possible elimination of the Nanaimo route did not sit well with BC Ferries users, and many shared their views on social media as well as flooding the Mayor John Ruttan of Nanaimo will emails and calls.  A day later, BC Transportation Minister Todd Stone told reporters that the route would definitely not be cut.

Reading about this on the news reminded me of our business plans and the previous individual assignments where we took the positions of consultants. These fictional assignments has us focusing on the firms, and I realize that I don’t think about the scope of my recommendations, especially on the consumers or clients of the firms. The BC Ferries case reminded me that in the real world, the aftermath of a suggestion can garner attention and backlash from the public, requiring concerns to be addressed.

BC Ferries Vessel, http://www.bcferries.com/at_the_terminal/where-we-sail.html

Works Referenced:

CBC News. “BC Ferries Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay Route Will Not Be Cut Says Minister – British Columbia – CBC News.” CBCnews. CBC/Radio Canada, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 8 Nov. 2014. <http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ferries-nanaimo-horseshoe-bay-route-will-not-be-cut-says-minister-1.2825374>.

CBC News. “BC Ferries: Nanaimo-Horseshoe Bay Route-cut Proposal Sparks Outrage – British Columbia – CBC News.” CBCnews. CBC/Radio Canada, 5 Nov. 2014. Web. 8 Nov. 2014. <http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ferries-nanaimo-horseshoe-bay-route-cut-proposal-sparks-outrage-1.2824713>.

Read more on the BC Ferries Report : tp://www.bcferrycommission.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2014-09-30-Efficiency-Plan.pdf