Anju’s DVD Decision

When Anju is deciding what type of resource to consider using to help her continue to educate her target population, the ‘S’ for students from Bates and Poole’s SECTIONS framework (2003) is particularly critical in her situation. Anju’s target population (her ‘students’) are for the most part South Asian and new immigrant Canadian women aged 45 or older living in the Port Alberni area of British Columbia, this being her target audience due to the fact that in this particular demographic, there is a diabetes epidemic. In order to help provide adequate care for this group of individuals, Anju needs to keep them informed about the importance of maintaining a healthy diet while understanding the role that food plays in maintaining their blood glucose levels. It is also noted in the case study that Anju’s clients are fluent in spoken English, but reading written material in English poses a barrier for them. Although Anju’s one hour workshops have helped this particular population, her clients have expressed that it is difficult for them to retain the information afterwards. Due to the needs of this particular target audience, I think that Anju is making a worthwhile choice in filming her workshops and using the gathered material to then create a DVD that she could distribute to possibly a wider audience than her workshops can meet. Providing her clients with written documents in regard to management of their illness may be poorly utilized or understood due to the potential language obstacles. A DVD would eliminate the written language issue and allow her clients to view the DVD as often as they felt the need to.

I would advise Anju to be sure to include images and informational diagrams with a limited amount of text to accompany her oral instructions and information shared on the DVD in order to accommodate for ESL/EFL concerns. In regard to the actual organization of her DVD, I would recommend that she choose a DVD creator/software that allows her to make ‘chapters’ or individual ‘scenes’ with interactive menus on the DVD. By doing so, this would allow her clients to have the option of viewing just the content that they needed multiple viewings of without having to watch the entire video in full. Having the option to view smaller segments would appeal to her clients and allow Anju to still cater to their individual needs to some extent through the technology. Filming and including ‘how to’ mini videos on the DVD would be beneficial as it would allow Anju to share demonstrations, tips and advice with her clients from afar.
To make the actual DVD, I would suggest that Anju do some research ahead of time into the software that she plans to use to create the DVD, so that she can be sure that the format that she is filming in will be easily usable in her selected software. Although I have no experience in this area myself, I think that she could use something like:
– Windows DVD Maker (http://dvdmaker.co/) This site includes a demo video as well as written steps to follow to create your DVDs
– DVD Styler (http://www.dvdstyler.org/en/) This site offers some tech support and indicates that this free software creates professional looking DVDS and supports a variety of file, video and audio formats

Anju will likely need to invest a substantial amount of time in this endeavour. It will likely take her a number of weeks in order to film the various segments to use for her video. She will also need to gather her images, content and record her voice over audio files to go along with her images. The timeline of the actual creation of the DVD is hard to estimate as it will depend on how long the DVD will be and how much editing is required. In my research I read everything from 17 hours per minute of video for ‘cable reality shows’ to one hour of editing time per minute of video (http://www.quora.com/How-much-time-is-spent-editing-footage-for-FIlm-Video). Not knowing if Anju is tackling this task on her own, or if she has someone in the field that can assist her in the actual production of the DVD, I would estimate that she would likely spend 2-3 hours editing for every minute of video. If her video was half an hour in length, it could take her up to 90 hours of time to complete the final product. Being that she will most likely still need to fulfill her regular dietician roles during the DVD making process, she may be able to spend 5-10 hours a week working on the DVD. I would estimate that the entire process may take her 8-10 weeks, but this is a very rough estimate based on information that I read online and not on any actual firsthand experience.

Bates, A. W., & Poole, G. (2003). Effective Teaching with Technology in Higher Education:
Foundations for Success. (pp. 75 – 105) Jossey-Bass, An Imprint of Wiley.InterActivity- Establishing Presence Online