Reflection essay #2

Reflection #2

Technology as Arts-Based Education: Does the Desktop Reflect the Arts?

by Peter Gouzouasis

For the last few decades, art and technology have been central social issues that raised concerns among many artists and arts educators across the world. More recently, some have recognized the endangered state of the arts, as becoming overshadowed by technology, which may lead to various problems to the lives of the future generation. Nowadays, most educators use computers to help with lecture concepts when they are teaching, and present information in class using Powerpoint or the Internet. All students also use computers for assignments, class projects, and viewing lecture notes. I am writing an essay while listening to music on

a computer now. I think this illustrates how arts and technology may collaborate because listening to music and writing an essay are types of art, and the tool that facilitates them is technology. Technology is not a negative development.

For example, if educators did not use Powerpoint or the Internet, they would probably have to write lecture notes by hand, which would be inefficient for both educators and students. Nowadays it seems terrible just to think about life without using tools or technologies such as Youtube or Powerpoint. Yet technology alone is not sufficient. In his article, Gouzouasis (2006) argues that technology without art lacks something important – the most important thing. He also points out that these days people have a tendency to use technology without recognizing the importance of art in society, in our thinking and in our education system. Gouzouasis (2006), in his analysis of technology, thinks this modern tendency is dangerous mistake because he recognizes true artistic creativity is something more than being able to use technology. Someone may have full knowledge of how to construct houses and buildings, but this cannot produce the beauty of architecture. Gouzouasis (2006) points out that the artistic skills of the architect are different from the technological skills, and learning technological skills is not enough. I think he wants us to understand technology as something that has helped artists to express themselves.

For example, the invention of musical instruments has helped artists. In addition, the inventions of paints, materials, cameras, computer animation have helped visual artists, but these inventions could not replace the artist.

When I learned how to use the garage band program in class, my concern was how to control this program and how to mix music with various instruments. Due to learning about the garage band program in class, I learned about the important role of computers. This work was so interesting and amazing. Now I realize that my attention was on using technology and not on what was inside the artist’s mind such as creativity, thinking, and his or her soul. Gouzouasis (2006) is right in that, as we are impressed by technology, we may overlook the artistic impulse that lies behind the technology. Our education system has been overlooking their importance. We have come to think that we need to focus on technology. But instead, Gouzouasis (2006) argues, people need “arts-based” technology education that emphasizes the role of creativity, critical thinking, imagination, and artistic expression. Without these things, we have only digital noise or digital garbage – no matter how highly developed our technologies are.

Digital media are part of our daily lives. Actually, I have never deeply thought about the digital media and did not have any particular opinions about digital media prior to this course. My previous conception of digital media was something which was simple to handle, useful, and offered diverse information easily. Through reading this article, I now understand the interconnection between art and technology – which is a useful tool for expressing our imagination and creativity – and understand how art and technology affect each other. Either one without the other leaves our culture unbalanced. These two things are both needed in our society. If we fail to understand that, and if we ignore the value of art, our lives will be meaningless, lifeless, and empty. As technology continues to develop more, our thinking has to be changed to include and deal with art, and educators must recognize the need for an integrated arts and technology curriculum for students who may be leaders in the future.

Technology education must never underestimate creativity. Of course, technology is a great invention in human civilization because we receive the benefits of it. However, , after reading Gouzouasis’s article, my thinking about technology has changed, to make me to not focus on technological skills, and realize technology could not stand without art. If we do not want to miss more cultural opportunities from technology and art, we must move on and rethink our perception of them. Then there can be a wonderful combination of technology and art!!