#2 – Natrel Organic 1% Milk

I pour some milk all over my cereal.

1% Milk – 250ml portion/110 Calories Consumed

The ingredients list is short, containing only partly skimmed milk and some added vitamins.  Nothing outstanding here, so let’s consider the on-farm processes of milk-making.

Virtual Tour.

Natrel is a dairy subsidiary of the Agropur agricultural cooperative.  They claim that their milk is collected from Canadian, certified organic dairy farms.  The Canada Food Inspection Agency notes that “All products with an organic content of 95% or greater are considered organic and may be labelled with the word organic.” OK.  I effort but can not find out if the cows on these farms are actually fed with organically grown (sans Haber) grains.  Let’s feel good about the world and say that they are!

At these certified organic dairy farms, cows graze leisurely in fields and also eat some harvested grains (oil).  Twice a day the cows are brought in for milking.  The milking machines (oil) extract unprocessed milk from the cows and store it in huge refrigerated, agitated containers.   The milk is pumped (oil?) from storage to transport tanks and then transported (oil) to the factory.  At the factory the milk is processed (oil) by pasteurization, homogenization, separation and filtration.  Next, it is packaged and transported (oil) to my local grocery store.  I walk to pick it up and I walk it home.

Interesting tid bit…. According to ADAS Consulting for MAFF, Project OF0182, DEFRA, London, 2001…”In the case of milk production, it has been found that organic systems are almost five times more energy efficient on a per animal basis and three and a half times more energy efficient in terms of unit output (the energy required to produce a litre of milk)”

This entry was posted in Breakfast. Bookmark the permalink.