Keeping the Classics

It’s true that Coca-Cola has been, and continues to be a very profitable company. As Albane Le Provost finely states in his blog post, Coca-Cola has been so successful for a number of reasons, including first mover advantage, strong marketing strategies, and a “triumphing culture”. Albane does a wonderful job describing Coca-Cola’s business strategies and explaining how they became so popular, though the one section of their blog I had questions about were when he mentions how he believes Coca-Cola has survived the years by “adapting and evaluating current trends and forces”, while at the same time somehow remains “traditional and stable”. I had issues with these two statements because when he mentioned Coke’s ever adapting nature the first thing that came to mind for me was when they came out with their “New Coke”.

This had an obvious backlash for Coke and that’s how they came out with the “Coke Classic”. I would argue that in Coke trying to adapt, that actually hindered their business temporarily. I believe that for Coke to continue their ever growing success they need to keep sticking with their “traditional and stable” side.

(Albane Le Provost. “It’s The Real Thing”. blogs.ubs.ca <https://blogs.ubc.ca/albanelp/>)