UBC LSS: President’s Welcome

Hello incoming 1Ls!

My name is Paul Kressock and I am the President of the UBC Law Students’ Society (“LSS”) for the 2013-2014 academic year. I want to begin by congratulating you on being admitted to the Faculty of Law. It is quite an achievement and is the beginning of an exciting chapter in your academic career as well as your professional life. I hope that your reading of this blog means that you are keen to begin and indeed you should be! Having recently completed my first two years at UBC Law, I can attest to the fact that law school is at once a challenging, stimulating, and fun experience, and I certainly hope you are looking forward to the coming year as much as I am.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to the LSS and to tell you a bit about what we do. The LSS is the student association at UBC Law and is charged with governing student affairs, organizing activities and events, and representing the student body to the Faculty, the University, and the legal community. By virtue of your enrolment in the JD program, you will be one of our approximately 560 members for the 2013-2014 year. The LSS operates by the efforts of volunteers, including officers of our Executive, Social, and Academic Councils who are elected by and composed of students of all years.

The LSS performs many functions within the law school and carries out the business of student government through its constituent committees:

• The Executive Council of the LSS is concerned with student governance at the law school as well as its representation to the UBC Alma Mater Society, the UBC Senate, and external parties.
  • The Academic Council is concerned with issues that affect members as students and is the principal voice for students in the decision-making mechanisms of Faculty. Its officers sit on faculty committees that deal with matters like curriculum reform and admissions and serve as liaisons for students on academic matters. The Council also organizes opportunities for students to learn about course offerings and how to plan their degrees.
  • The Social Council is concerned with student life at the law school and co-ordinates much of the programming directed to students outside of class time. Its officers primarily deal with the planning of social events and the regulation and funding of the law school’s many clubs, teams, and student organizations. Student activities and events are often the means by which law students form lasting friendships with one another and socialize with practitioners from Vancouver’s professional legal community.

UBC Law Trike Race! Organized by the LSS and Sponsored by Farris LLP.

The LSS is an important resource for students and its volunteers work to improve the student experience in the classroom and around the school. We also have a student Ombudsperson to address student concerns and to ensure an equitable environment for students. We strive to foster a community where students can get the most out of their legal education and enjoy one another’s company. For my part, I am looking forward to welcoming you into the law school community this September as part of the UBC Law Class of 2016. I assure you that if you come with an open mind and a willingness to engage your peers and all that the student experience has to offer, you are going to relish your time at Allard Hall.  And trust me – it’s worth it.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Take care and enjoy your summer,

Paul Kressock

President, UBC Law Students’ Society

president@ubclss.com