Hello, Class of 2020! My name is Alexandra Scott and I am the current President of the Allard Law Students’ Society (ALSS). As chair of the Law Students’ Society Executive and primary representative of the JD students at Allard, I help to coordinate activities within the Academic and Social Councils and advocate for your interests to the faculty, the University and the larger legal community in Vancouver. It is also my duty to ensure accountability in student governance, and help to promote an equitable and respectful student environment. With the help of the ALSS Executive, together we will work diligently to ensure that the needs of Allard students are considered at every level of the law school. This years’ ALSS representatives are a highly engaged and thoughtful group of individuals whom I have no doubt will work hard to ensure everyone has a great experience at Allard. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns during the school year.

2016/2017 ALSS President Josh and 2017/2018 President Alex at the annual trike race

What does the ALSS do?

The ALSS is your student government. We are involved in planning all aspects of student life at Allard, including academic affairs, social events and student wellness initiatives. There are 10 members on the ALSS Executive, and you can learn more about us and our positions here (note: not updated with 2017-2018 exec).

How can I get involved?

We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated group of 1Ls to join our team! Joining the ALSS is fantastic way to get valuable experience, meet your fellow students from upper years and other small groups, and have your say on events and issues affecting the Allard community. We will be holding elections for 1L Representatives in September. There are 8 positions available on the Social Council (2 students per small group) and 4 positions on the Academic Council (1 student per small group).

If you like planning events, networking and having a good time, then Social Council is for you! The 1L Reps help organize the Friday socials (networking events sponsored by law firms) and larger events such as Boat Cruise, Trike Race and Semi-Formal. In the past, 1L Reps have also organized their own initiatives such as the Med/Law Mixer, Allard’s Movember fundraiser and Cancer Awareness Week.

If you’re interested in having a say in academic affairs, the Academic Council is the place for you! The Academic Council promotes communication and consultation between students and faculty by representing the interests of law students on various faculty and university committees. They make policy recommendations regarding the JD curriculum, exam procedures, tuition, and more. 1L Reps have the opportunity to sit on Allard’s Admissions, Curriculum and Examinations Committees, among others.

2017-2018 VP of Student Affairs Martin Lay and ALSS President Alex Scott

How can I stay updated on ALSS news and events?

Visit our website (www.allardlss.com), follow us on Instagram (@allardlss), sign up for the ALSS Newsflash (more information to come in September), or email our Director of Communications, Kendal Allemekinders (info@allardlss.com)!