Calling all hockey players, male and female. Have you always dreamed of having wings and flying like an Eagle? Well here is your chance to do so. The Legal Eagles are your opportunity to get out there on the ice and play some competitive hockey against other departments and frat houses in Tier 1 league of the UBC Rec Todd Ice Hockey League.

There are two seasons, one for first term and one for second term, and they both have their individual playoffs. After a 5 year title drought, the Eagles underwent a transformation that saw the drought not only end, but the Eagles won the Tier 1 championship both semesters, losing only 1 game in the process. With a strong and determined core returning, we plan on continuing to buildi a dynasty and the hope is you will join us, along with having fun of course!

Having played on the team both as a 1L and 2L, I truly can’t say enough how much I enjoyed playing on the team and how I couldn’t recommend enough joining us or getting involved with any club or team at Allard. The comradely in the dressing room is amazing and is a great way to unwind from the chaos that is 1L. Further, having a team that will consist of many upper years provides a great opportunity to learn from them and form connections in an informal setting. I now consider many of the upper years I played with in 1L some of my closest friends.

We also get involved with the school and legal community itself. We have a couple team nights with the team, a social that we host for the entire school (hoping to do 2 this year!), and last year we also hosted our inaugural Legal Eagles Invitational Tournament with alumni and firm teams. In addition, we are intending on going to the University of Alberta where they host an annual western law school hockey tournament.

While our ice times are not the best (just ask our “fans”) as we play LATE at night at Thunderbird stadium – meaning you’re likely to be exhausted for 9:00 am Contracts class the next day – it is all worth it. So if you are ready to quote our former GM and “Fly like an Eagle”, look for us at Clubs day to come sign up for the team, and feel free to send me (Brandon) an email if you have any further questions at b44manhas@shaw.ca. Best of luck with 1L, I look forward to meeting you all and hope to see many of you out on the ice! Fly Eagles Fly!!

-Brandon Manhas, 3L