Based on the optional readings for Class 10 prep, I have come to understand that relationships between the Canadian Government and First Nations is strained and not as peaceful as I previously thought.

The articles talk about how companies are trying to establish deals/agreements to build facilities in First Nation Territories but are facing difficulties from the First Nation Government as well as different parts of the Canadian Government. It seems to me that this is a good example of external factors affecting a business strategy or plan. For example, in this article it says that Taseko Mines Ltd. is facing problems from both the First Nation as well as the government.

Applying the PEST analysis, this is an example of political factors affecting the company’s plan negatively. The Tsilhqot’in people have declared the area where the mining would take place as a tribal park, hindering the plans of Taseko. The federal government in canada has also rejected Taseko’s proposal to build a mine in the area. This laws and legislations have made a dent in Taseko’s business plans.Furthermore, this plan was considered controversial so a social aspect would have come into play. How the public feels about this plan and how it could potentially affect the environment and lives of the First Nation people have been discussed extensively and I believe the discussion is not in favour of Taseko. The public opinion of Taseko’s project is not anything to scoff at as it has the potentially to permanently shut down the whole proceedings as well as any future projects that are similar.

This issue is not anything new to me. While I am not Canadian, I am from Malaysia where we have many aboriginals who have faced exploitation from the government in the past. Laws and legislations back in Malaysia are not as strict as Canada and while this makes it easier for companies to proceed with their business plans, it is sad to say they do sometimes force aboriginals out of their own land.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/background-the-indian-act-1.1056988