Poeta: Bernardo Colipán

Traducción por: Jade Quinn-McDonald

WHEN TRAVELLING GO OUT TO SEAFor Alen and the day she stepped foot into this lifeWhen traveling, my girl, go out to sea,always keep Wenteyao in your heart.The journey is your destination.Do not fear Kanillo, Kalkus and Anchimallenes;you will never find such spirits unless your soul puts them in your path.I wish, Alen, that your path be long.Stopin Pucatriwe, ChoroyTriague.Collect, like your ancestors, rulamaslunfo and algae above all else,all types of algae.With the shumpall of Caleta Manzanoshare your mother’s sweet songs.But don’t rush your trip at all,it will be better the more rivers you cross.I pray, my little one, that your horse does not move clumsily.Stop your voyage in the catrihues.Behind a blue sky they will speak to you in hushed voices.And if you find the island the old man has not deceived you.Beautiful, how you got to it, you will knowof the placewhere the birds goto be born with eyes closed.

Imagen:  https://hornbyisland.com/about-hornby/

This photo was taken by my friend of me on a paddle board off of Hornby Island, a small island off of Vancouver Island. The poem remined me of my travels this summer, as I had the priviledge to spend much time at sea. 

The island is in the tradititional territory of the K’ómoks First Nations, who initially named the island Ja-dai-aich. The island remains a place where travellers enjoy time at sea, and islanders live a slow paced life.