An Emoji Story (Task 6)

• Did you rely more on syllables, words, ideas or a combination of all of them?

I tried to rely on words and ideas, syllables would have been harder to spell out and interpret in my opinion, especially since I consider that to be an uncommon use for emojis. I would say the use of words and ideas is best since not all of the words I wanted to represent could be accurately described using the emojis, so I am hoping some ideas will be represented as well.

• Did you start with the title? Why? Why not?

I started with the title for two reasons. The primary reason was that I wanted to make sure I could actually represent it! I did not want a situation where the title could not be represented by emojis since the synopsis would not be as relevant without the title. The second reason was that the title may be easy enough to figure out which film I am referring to. This would mean the synopsis would not be necessary if the title is descriptive enough. I am not sure if this synopsis will give enough information, so I hope the title does the job.

• Did you choose the work based on how easy would it be to visualize?

I did choose this particular film because its title would be easy to visualize. I don’t think there would be any way for the synopsis to be easy to visualize with only emojis, so I wanted something to be easy enough to decipher, which hopefully the title will be. The last book I read would have been too hard to represent using only emojis for both the title and synopsis. The same for the last show I just saw which includes a particular family name that would have been nearly impossible to represent.

1 thought on “An Emoji Story (Task 6)

1. margaret keating

But isn’t the point of emojis to not translate the whole thing, but to augment whatever is being said in any language?

Emojis are an interesting phenomenon, and their rise in popularity has been fun to watch. They’ve even been controversial (remember the fight over the gun emojis?) . . .

Anyway, I haven’t guessed your title . . . but I’m awful at these kinds of games.