Linking Assignment 5: Golden Record Curation-Kelvin

Task 8: Golden Record Curation

I chose Kelvin’s Task 8 post as my fifth linking assignment. This assignment was limiting in what could be selected, since everyone had to choose 10 songs of the 27 options. Where there was room for individual differences was the parameters around how people chose the songs.

Kelvin used the presence or absence of vocals as his initial parameter to separate the songs. Kelvin only chose his songs from the list of instrumental songs, eliminating all vocal songs because he felt the instruments provided a universal language. He categorized the instrumental songs as orchestral and not. He added all 9 songs he classes as instrumental and chose “Rite of Spring” by Stravinsky as his tenth song. The reason he chose this song is because of the way you can hear all of the separate sounds.

Kelvin picked instrumentals to represent the universality of music and all cultures. I explicitly chose songs from each region of the planet. My initial parameter was songs I enjoy, but an important secondary parameter was explicit representation.

Kelvin and I may have differed in why we chose the songs because of our different backgrounds in music. Kelvin mentions usually separating his playlists by the presence or absence of vocals as he reflects in his initial parameter for song selection. I tend to separate music by language, which I did when making my selections too. I cannot conclusively comment on Kelvin’s experiences with music but he seems to be someone with orchestral experience because of his appreciation for the different instrumental sounds. I like to listen to music from different places in the world and in different languages which is why that was a big factor for me. Our different experiences are likely the overlying reason for differences in parameter for song selection.