Bristol’s Poo-Powered Bus, Cradle to Grave?

In class, we have been talking 「Cradle to Cradle」or 「Cradle to Grave」, but both concepts are more likely applied to tangible products. However, recently, Geneco, which is a company to offer waste recycling and renewable energy solutions, created by Bio-Bus to improve air qualities in UK. I think taking advantage of our sewage and food waste is some kind of 「Cradle to Grave.」

This 40-seater Bio-Bus, which run on biogas generated from food waste and human poo, can travel up to 300 km with a full tank of gas. Through sewage and food waste which unfit for human digestion and consumption, Geneco is able to generate enough biomethane to provide supply of gas to fuel the Bio-Bus. It also can mitigate our reliance on fossil fuel, meaning decrease greenhouse gas emissions as well. And more surprisingly, the biogas can not only be used for fuelling the bus, but also be produced energy to household and gas vehicle.

Why i think Bio-Bus is using the concept of Cradle to Grave? We can more realise from the picture below. Our sewage and food waste are processed by anaerobic digestion. This completely natural process in which microorganisms break down biodegradable materials in sewage and food waste in the absence of oxygen produces biogas. Moreover, Biogas is supplied to power bus, vehicle and even to households. And after using the energy produced by Biogas to live, people will generate more food waste and sewage, therefore, more biogas will be produced. Instead of wasting our poos and food waste in landfills and incinerators, Geneco capitalise and “take care” of them to produce biogas to improve air qualities and make the whole society more sustainable.

flow-diagram-small

This example also reminds me the video talked in the class, which is the water made from poo and other waste by Bill Gates’ organization. It is such a surprise that our sewage and food waste are so valuable (if you process them properly!) and they even can sustain our life.

http://www.sustainablebrands.com/news_and_views/waste_not/sustainable_brands/bristols_poo-powered_bus_now_running_regular_route

http://www.geneco.uk.com/Default.aspx

2 thoughts on “Bristol’s Poo-Powered Bus, Cradle to Grave?

1. Joanne Lin

Hi Paul!
    I wanted to laugh when I first saw this and it immediately captured my attention. Great topic to choose because it really engages people from the start. This is indeed a great example of Cradle-to-Cradle because it brings our waste back to energy and finally to clean air for us. However, one concern I have is about the manufacturing process of these buses. Are they doing anything to make sure that each stage of the process is as carbon minimizing as possible? Because if not, that would defeat the purpose of this bus. Additionally, how would we go about deconstructing this bus when it has endured enough usage?

It would also be really interesting to see whether or not this technology can be implemented in other venues/method. It would be fantastic to transform more of our everyday equipment/devices into biomethane generators.

Thanks for your post Paul!
    – J.Lin

2. Raman Johal

I think this is a prime example of innovation leading the way in sustainability. These days, products are being produced more responsibly and being increasingly recycled. However, one area in which we really need to work on is creating value from any waste that is generated i.e. filling in the grave-to-cradle part of the life cycle. An interesting point that I learnt in my other sustainability class, Business and Sustainable Development, is that in nature there is no such thing as waste. Everything is repurposed into new materials. We really need to take a page from nature’s book and realise the potential in waste. The Bio-Bus is a great example of this, if an extreme one at that. It shows that the waste that people consider to be the ultimate lost cause does have value. It takes true pioneers to seek out the value in this waste, so good on them!