We Want More Cream!

Newfoundland reeling over tinned cream shortage that retailers blame on strict dairy supply management laws

It does sound melodramatic, but in Newfoundland, people areupset about not having enough canned cream. As the article suggests, quotas are set by the Canadian Milk Marketing Board on Fussel’s cream in a can.  Needless to say, I was distressed when I read this article. First, I discover that there IS such a thing as canned cream. Then, I discover that Newfoundland is eating up all of Canada’s supply of it! It truly sounds bizarre that the government is preventing Newfoundlanders from getting their cream!

From the government’s perspective, limiting the amount of cream makes sense. Without quotas, Canadian specialty cream companies may have difficulty competing with other cream countries. However, there is no popular Canadian equivalent of Fussel’s cream. In my opinion, the policy is pointless. Fussel’s has a limited target market in Newfoundland which they have developed themselves. Limiting the supply of this product without available Canadian-made substitute causes unhappiness in Newfoundland and greatly increases the price for Fussel’s. It would make sense for some Canadian company to try to fill the void with a substitute. Failing that, the government should not prevent Fussel’s from accessing their customer segment  from purchasing their cream. Let this unique niche market of Newfoundlander’s who value their European culture and pastries have their canned cream!

Ethical Advertising: When Marketing Goes Wrong

Sex sells! It never fails to grab our attention which is why it is used so extensively on billboards, in magazines, on TV, everywhere. However, there comes a point where a line must be drawn, hence, we look at business ethics.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sex-violence-against-women-ads-2013-5?op=1

As the article mentions, sexual violence against women in advertising may be cloaked under a pseudonym: humour, innuendo, or expression. So why is it so prevalent and effective? In class today, we discussed the rape chant at UBC, and I quickly drew a parallel between that and unethical advertising that this article discusses. Sexual violence humorous or something to be laughed about. With such a high percentage of people being victims of sexual assault, it is appalling that tactics are used in marketing a product especially given the physical, psychological and emotional pain sexual violence causes on a daily basis. Once advertisements begin to marginalize groups (in this case women), or go beyond common decency (rape and sexual violence are not legally or publicly acceptable) in order to make a profit, I would mark advertising as unethical.

As a beginner in business, I recognize that profits are only part of the equation. Ethics and morality play a key role in making the right decision.

Further reading I found interesting on how our culture perpetrates negative attitudes towards women: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/opinion/bruni-tackling-the-roots-of-rape.html?_r=0