Task 8: Golden Record Curation Assignment

1. Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37
  2. Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20
  3. Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55
  4. Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40
  5. Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48
  6. Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35
  7. “Johnny B. Goode,” written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38
  8. Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, “The Fairie Round,” performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17
  9. Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Service. 1:12
  10. Australia, Aborigine songs, “Morning Star” and “Devil Bird,” recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26

Listening to the podcast introduced me to the worldly compilation of music included on the Voyager Golden Record. Each track was chosen carefully to have music from around the globe in a variety of genres. To pick only 10, my criteria were relatively simple. I chose artists or songs that I was familiar with first. I was drawn to these tracks as they provided me with a connection to what otherwise would be random tracks. The other few that I chose, which I didn’t know before, were songs that sounded familiar to me somehow.