What’s in the bag, dad?

My curling bag includes my curling rock, my curling shoes, my scorecard….ok ok. There is this temptation in this exercise to list all of the contents in my bag and explain each and every item.  But this is the thing with digital literacy and in this case in particular with photography – The picture should tell the story.  So lots of the content is obvious.  I’ll try to point out a few of the subtle things that I’ve inserted into my “curling” bag.  I really want to write out the sport that this sport bag is associated with…but I already have by taking the picture.   Ahhh…ok.  I’m going to ask a few questions and see if anyone comments or gets the conversation going.  Who is my favourite ‘curling’ player?  Why does this guy (ie me) have 11 wristbands?  I included a picture of my son because I love my son and I really like the Picture in Picture look.  He’s 3 in this pic but 17 today.  In the past I’ve taught drama and media AND I’ve always been beating the drum on the idea of ‘film grammar’ and the construction of moving pictures being similar to construction of writing.  So I’m interested in the exploration of this idea of how we’ve previously communicated and how we’ll evolve and shift the way that we communicate.  It really is a bit of a mind blowing thing as far as this shift in writing and the sharing of ideas is evolving and changing before us.  In light of that I really should make sure to make a number of my posts as video or audio posts instead of relying on the written word.  In fact I’ll do one of the posts in the upcoming months as written, audio and video….then it’d be cool to hear how the medium shifted the message.

It’s interesting with sports and the equipment that one uses that the player can range in ability from beginner to pro even with the same gear.  I’ve walked onto the golf course a number of times and end up in a foursome with a guy who’s got the most incredible set of clubs.  Thinking that he’s going to crack it off the first tee and instead he hits 3 balls into the water before we even get started.  Meanwhile my clubs from the late 90’s help me to well hit somewhere in the late 90’s but slightly better than his 125!  I’ll let you use your imagination as far as how well I ‘curl’.

So if we were to look back 30 years on sporting equipment then there are so many changes to today.  But then if we look forward 30 years then the question I have is at what point do we stop the technology from improving?  Take hockey for example.  The cost of getting suited up has never been cheap but today compared to 30 years ago it’s astounding.  So is there ever a time to consider slowing technology because perhaps –  is it really necessary for it to ‘get better’ and to what end?

One response to “What’s in the bag, dad?