Speed of Implementing Initiatives VS Experience in Large Organizations.

Integrating QR Technologies in MarCom campaigns undertaken by the traditional manufacturing companies, which I mentioned in my previous post, is exciting and…yet quiet challenging. The large corporations that traditionally focused on R&D and exceptionally good products with innovative technologies, are often slow, not to say passive, in activities that surround this product and enhance the overall experience of the customer (both a distributor and end-user).

In my experience with a large organization, for example, IT Technologies to support the operations, service and marketing were so out-dated and so helpless in supporting even simple tasks, that hardly justified their (IT Technologies) existence. I remember having a long discussion with the IT department and web team trying to understand why that was happening. That was one of my discoveries of real life corporate processes. Everyone realizes that an internal product, in my case management information system, is old, inflexible and unsupportive to meet the demands of Marketing and Service. However, it would take a few years before a new system would be installed, which, paradoxically, will be behind the technologies and needs again, once implemented.

Making a QR code campaign is small in comparison with implementing a new IT system. However, implementation of it, even with green light from Marketing director and approvals from Marcom Manager, Product Managers, Web&IT teams, takes ages.

The reason is that any initiative or project involves changes in work load and work practices of a lot of employees. Moreover, there is always a sceptical approach of putting efforts and time for nothing.

At the same time I see huge advantage of facing  such obstacles from a perspective of personal and professional development.

The large organization is a concentration of brilliant minds from whom you can learn a lot. Simply by travelling from cubicle to cubicle to the specialists of interest with a couple of questions in mind will bring you to talk to even more specialists that you actually would never think are helpful. With your 2 questions to be answered you will end up with in-depth answers, and…with 1000 questions yet unanswered and to be explored. I have to admit that I receive a great satisfaction of talking to the knowledgeable specialists, unfortunately, at the cost of time.

I see a large organization as a some type of university which widens your horizons and gives you wider and in-depth understanding of issues.

So how make things implemented and implemented fast? Unfortunately, I never got a great solution to this issue. But some tips for fastening and enjoying the process are here:

–          Travel from cubicle to cubicle and talk to people. You will learn a lot.

–          Approach people by asking their advice. They even more willing to share and help.

–          By talking to people you will also build awareness of your project/program/initiative. You will get a number of supporters; especially, if you involve some of their ideas, which are often great.

–          Keep informing about your initiatives your supervisor and supervisors of supervisor (better – in informal setting (i.e. near the coffee machine) , not to upset your supervisor by jumping over the head)

–          Overall, create a buzz of the initiative.

–          And also, the chances are: some colleagues of yours had something similar in mind but never had time to do that. Honestly, you make them a favour and their will appreciate.

* The image of cubicles is taken from http://www.traveljournaltamagotchi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cubicles.jpg