Music – The Internet Industry

by patrickmceachran

The other day I was taking a look at my personal profile on Facebook and I saw something that I found interesting. I was browsing through my liked pages and saw that there were two large majorities: companies and musicians. I understand that my interests, or my ‘likes,’ are completely unique to myself, but I would guess that a lot of Facebook users are fairly similar.

Upon thinking about this, I started to realize that musicians are very much identical to companies in that they, too, need to make the shift to building and maintaining their relationships over social media. New and upcoming artists aren’t necessarily discovered because of the music they’re making, but because of the fan base that they’ve built up. Music has become an internet industry. And in this industry, artists need to take a look at the modern-day marketing handbook if they want to stay relevant.

Dillon Francis, an EDM artist, takes a very active role in his Twitter feed.

Marketing’s underlying theme is essential to the music industry – success ultimately depends on the relationship you have with the consumer. Artists are taking to multiple platforms of social media to connect and listen to their listeners. It’s no longer a one-way street where artist pump out whatever music they like. Instead, we see artists on Facebook and Twitter listening in on what their fans like and dislike, what other music they’re listening to, and what their interests are. These platforms also give them the opportunity to have conversations with their fans on a daily basis. All of this earns respect and trust from their fans. Artists can segment and target their market better by learning and producing the music that their fans want to hear.