India and e-commerce

Article taken from: BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15336297

India has now advanced to identifying itself in the group of countries that use e-commerce. In the recent years, people, in India, have not only started buying their clothes and accessories online, but it has gone as far as buying grocery products through the internet.

One thing I found really interesting and at the same time not very surprising was that instead of paying by credit card for the purchases done online, India has adopted a cash on delivery payment method. Since I originally come from India, I can understand why this is done. The whole e-commerce aspect is still quite new to India and like any other new invention, this one will take some time to earn people’s trust before being able to purchase online through a credit card works.

The advancement to e-commerce is definitely a step up however it does have its disadvantages. There are many small markets run by the poor people and the usage of e-commerce could very possibly hinder their income, especially if food is also bought online. However, there is still time before that happens since only about 65 million people in India log onto the web.