Repairing McDonalds

This post is in response to Alyssa Leung’s post You Asked, McDonalds Answered.

For the past decade or so, McDonalds has undergone scrutiny for it’s food preparation process and the ingredients it uses. Images of a “pink slime” was circulated on the Internet and it was associated with being used in McDonalds hamburgers. Controversies like this and documentaries like Super Size Me have given McDonalds have painted McDonalds with a very negative and unhealthy reputation. Personally, I have cut out any McDonalds from my diet, and I haven’t had anything from there for two years now.

However, the company’s “Our Food. Your Questions” campaign provides transparency to its customers and it is a very smart marketing strategy. In addition, it also helps mend the company’s reputation.

Though this is a modern day genius marketing tactic, personally, it does not urge me to eat any McDonalds food again. It is a smart and different campaign, but at the end of the day, once customers like myself have been able to “quit” McDonalds, just because the campaign justifies the ingredients it uses, it does not make fast food any healthier. It still is processed and frozen food. This campaign may recapture some old customers, but most definitely not all.