Burger King Gratifries Campaign

The fast food giant who has been competing in the same industry as McDonald and Wendys, among others, has just recently launched a new campaign in an effort to drive brand awareness and sales. However, not staying true to their name, they have introduced to us their Gratifries and based their campaign on this product. In Canada they are know as Gratifries and in the US they are Satisfries. It seems odd for the fast food chain who prides itself on the Whopper to be promoting french fries instead of burgers, their name has Burger in it… what are they thinking! They are also going the lower calorie option trying to attract consumers because they are french fries that are also supposed to be good for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajesfE2ZGDY

Not only have they rolled out commercials but they have launched a large scale sampling effort where you can sample gratifries for free every friday between noon and 2pm until Nov. 1. They have also been seen changing their name to Fries King at certain locations.

My big question about his campaign is why fries? Why go away from what you are known for doing and try to promote something completely different?

When I look at this campaign I can see the company trying to spark some talk. I see them attempting to create some word of mouth promotion from people talking about what they are doing and why they are putting so much emphasis on their fries. I think it is a very risky move for them to be making and I am very interested to see the consumer response.