The One Where I’m in Lyon….and A Little Homesick

by raissac

I am two days behind blogging about my Paris trip. I am getting lazy….. I am now in Lyon and I don’t see it as a priority to still blog about Paris. 🙁 Owell, maybe I will…. after this. Maybe just a short one?

Anyway, I’m in Lyon! Finally! The city where I’ll be living in for four months.. Oh, boy. Lyon is totally different from Paris. There are more locals here and definitely less tourists and Asians. For the first time, I actually feel like I’m part of a “minority” group. I just try to act as if I’m a local and that I know my stuff… NOT. We are staying at Best Western Hotel Du Pont Wilson, total downgrade from Mandarin Oriental in Paris (OMG I sound so spoiled).

My dad and I walked to the Part Dieu Commercial Centre/Mall from our hotel, which wasn’t a very long walk. I think I will hang out a lot in this mall. It’s pretty huge and has a lot of the good stores. We had dinner at Quick just because we were desperate to eat. I had caramel biscuits and speculoos from Haagen-Dazs after. I have been wanting to try speculoos because my friend said it’s even better than Nutella. Something better than nutella? Hmmmm, I definitely gotta try it. After all, I am the nutella monster. Meow. =3 We bought some sandwiches for breakfast from Brioche Doree and then I shopped a little at Bershka (one of the brands that I will absolutely love, according to my friend).

Caramel Biscuits & Speculoos from Haagen-Dazs

We stopped by a grocery store on the way home as well and bought some things for my apartment and….. of course, SPECULOOS!! I found the spread!! Wee! Can’t wait to try it. <3

My dad and I took a walk along the RhĂ´ne River, which was close to Guillotière (a.k.a. a place I should avoid at night.. :O). Interesting fact about the RhĂ´ne River: “Before railroads and highways were developed, the Rhone was an important inland trade and transportation route, connecting the cities of Arles, Avignon,Valence, Vienne and Lyon to the Mediterranean ports of Fos, Marseille and Sète.” – Wikipedia

It was beautiful, but then I got a little paranoid with what my friends said so we eventually headed back to the hotel.

I also felt homesick awhile ago. I guess the weather and the environment of Lyon just made me feel that way. Streets were empty, sky was gloomy, and everyone just seemed unfamiliar (obviously).. but they give off a different vibe than the Parisiens. I hate being homesick, makes me miss Vancity so much. 🙁 But.. I knew what I was getting into.. I hope this feeling goes away soon though. 🙁