There is no denying that traveling with children on a road trip could be fun. At the same time, it also calls for ensuring the topmost level of road safety measures to be adopted in order to remain secure from any mishap or unwelcomed situation. On top of the casual care-giving demands of the children on board during a road trip, you have to feel additionally responsible for keeping the kids safe on the go.
Though the rules & laws pertaining to the specific requirements of the safety of children on board might vary from one state to the other, each state goes forward with adopting a specific child passenger protection law imparting it the status of primary enforcement. This implies that you can be stopped and ticketed for violating the given law by the police for no given reason. If you wish to ensure the efficiency of your car driving with children passengers, check this site out!
Here are some simple tips that can ensure the overall safety of the kids when you are driving with them on busy roads:
- Always Prefer the Rear Seats for Children: As per the experts, it is suggested to always make your kids sit at the rear end of the car or vehicle. One of the main reasons supporting this concept is the utilization of the airbags. While, the airbags are considered to be the safest tools towards saving your life in case of a road accident, these are also known to be the root causes of children’s deaths in most cases. The reason is that small kids are too delicate to handle the sudden impact due to the inflated airbags. As such, it is advised to keep kids under the age of 12 years towards the rear seats of the car.
- Drive Sober: Well, this could be the most vital and obvious road driving tips when you are with small children. There is no surprise that around 20 percent of child mortality in cases of road accidents occur due to drinking & driving cases. This implies that over 200 children die on an annual basis as some of the car drivers were not responsible enough. Therefore, make sure that you avoid alcohol consumption before driving out on the road when you have kids on board.
- Drive Slowly: Another important point to keep in mind when you are traveling with small children is to drive at a moderate speed. By reducing your overall driving speed by around 1 km/hr, you can lower the potential risks of a car accident up to 2 percent. When you are driving at a moderate speed, you are also reducing the chances of injuries associated with swerving or hard braking as children tend to be immensely restless in the car.
- Watching for Sticking Heads: Kids like sticking their heads out while being on a road trip. However, to remain on the safe end, it is important to make them realize the importance of not doing so. Though it might appear fun to them, it could lead to serious car accidents or even harm to the kids. In order to avoid taking any chances, you should keep a check on such activities happening around in the car.
- Keep Things in Their Respective Places: Before heading out on a long road trip with kids, it is important to inspect the cabin of the vehicle inside-out. Look out for any objects that might cause harm to the kids. Preferably, stock all heavy, pointed or potentially dangerous items to the rear storage of the car. This is because small, pointed items might jump out of its place when you brake suddenly and might harm the kids.
- Never Leave Children Alone in the Car: In addition to car accidents, there are several cases of children mortality happening every year due to heatstroke in the vehicles. Therefore, to avoid the same, you must never leave your kids inside the car for long.
Make sure that you have taken all important preventive measures towards securing the road journey with your kids. Check this site out to know all about effective driving tests and tips!