Teaching

Some of the beliefs important for me are social justice, equity, collaboration, learning centeredness and technology. I strive to thread these concepts into the course curriculum by using a variety of strategies.

In my teaching, I use a collaborative style with students taking into consideration their life experiences and future nursing goals.  I promote a curriculum that focusses on social justice, ethics and professional nursing roles in practice.  Taking into consideration the ever changing society, technology and the needs of students I have begun to incorporate various teaching modalities into the classroom. I took the lead for N336 course to develop a blended learning environment. To prepare, I took UBC Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) course, ‘Teaching in a Blended Learning Environment’. I immediately applied the knowledge gained from this course by developing two online modules which provided autonomy, to work at their own pace, and empowered students to take charge of their learning. This created flexibility for students – freeing up time so that they could complete the modules at their own convenience and ensure faculty office time during what previously would have been a lecture time.

With a focus on student learning and knowledge transfer, I use small group work, case studies and guest lectures. Both in the classroom lectures and clinical practice I work collaboratively with students to engage them in the concepts of social justice and equity.

To further enhance student learning with concepts of social justice and equity I incorporated the content into clinical practice arena by developing partnerships with agencies for rich student learning opportunities, and for UBC SON community engagement in DTES with populations who live in marginalized conditions.  Some initiatives have been the Foot soak clinic with the Union gospel Mission, outreach and clinics at Evelyn Saller center, Covenant House and Pender Clinic.

In relation to Truth and Reconciliation, and concepts of social justice I have incorporated Indigenous content into the course curriculum by showing videos such as “No Running Water” and inviting an Indigenous Elder as guest speaker. Demonstration of the impact this has on students can be seen in a recent student’s blog posting.

https://blogs.ubc.ca/communitynursingmatters/2017/02/20/elderdone/

The above illustrates my beliefs and as I continue with the N336 course I plan to continue strengthening my learning of social justice and equity by further developing my knowledge.

I had the pleasure of meeting Elder Don while UBC Nursing students were engaged in health promotion teaching at the Turing Point in Richmond. Elder Don and I quickly established a trusting friendship as he shared life stories. I invited Elder Don to the N336 classroom to share his lived experiences of being in residential school, foster homes and living in marginalized conditions in the Down Town East Side (DTES) Vancouver. Through his stories Elder Don encouraged students to become kind compassionate non judgmental health care practitioners. On behalf of the N336 class ( Rotation A 2017) and UBC SON we thank Elder Don for so willingly to share his life story to enhance student learning”. Ranjit Dhari, N336 Course Leader 2017